Vaillant Ecomax PRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

You Guys helped me identify the pressure loss on my ecomax boiler. I picked a new PRV locally from a boiler spares shop. I fitted the PRV and the pressure drop stopped. It was a aftermarket part.

Same problem has started again. This evening I checked the pressure relief pipe outside its a constant drip. I would have thought aftermarket parts are just as good as original. This time I am wondering if the valve can be stripped to check for correct seating. Is this possible or I have to buy a genuine PRV. Positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
PRV's rarely start to leak, something makes them lift and then they do not re-seal check your Expansion vessel with the water pressure at zero, you should have an air charge of 1-00Bar in the vessel (it has a schraeder valve fitted and can be pumped with a foot pump or similar
P.S. the charge in the vessel SHOULD be checked annually when the boiler is serviced -I wonder how many bonus paid homeserve types have time to actually do this!! :rolleyes:

Agree with boilerman about service issue, however 10 psi or 0.7 bar is the recommended precharge - for the average system. :)

We can't recommend taking it apart as it's a "safety component".
You could try putting the boiler pressure up higher then opening the PRV which will get a good flow of water to maybe clear it, then get it to Snap shut by turning.

Sponsored Links
PRV's rarely start to leak, something makes them lift and then they do not re-seal check your Expansion vessel with the water pressure at zero, you should have an air charge of 1-00Bar in the vessel (it has a schraeder valve fitted and can be pumped with a foot pump or similar
P.S. the charge in the vessel SHOULD be checked annually when the boiler is serviced -I wonder how many bonus paid homeserve types have time to actually do this!! :rolleyes:

Hi "Boilerman2"

Thanks very much for analysis. I did exactly what you wrote. The pressure is now holding and I will keep watching it for couple of days. The Boiler was serviced in march whether the expansion vessel was looked at I couldn't say.

We can't recommend taking it apart as it's a "safety component".
You could try putting the boiler pressure up higher then opening the PRV which will get a good flow of water to maybe clear it, then get it to Snap shut by turning.

Hi "ChrisR"

Thank you to you also.

I have also done as you have suggested. Hopefully this will have cleared any debris stuck on the PRV seat. Also I agree with you PRV is a safety device therefore should be used as such without any repairs undertaken.

Agree with boilerman about service issue, however 10 psi or 0.7 bar is the recommended precharge - for the average system. :)
Hi "Beerlover"

Thank you for your input. Sound advice. I would buy you all a pint for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back