vaillant ecotec 428 s.53 error (Vl-RL spread too big)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - the above boiler has been installed new and operational for 2 weeks before getting the error mentioned. The central heating temp is set to 70c.

1) Does the error mean the return temp is too low ?

2) The system has been flushed and pump is in order (i can hear water flowing thru all rads), why would the heat not be dissipated ie what are other causes ?

3)setting d0 = 21 allows everything to function - why so ?

Just trying to get to grips with this "complex" beast we have now.

Thx

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you had a nupty installer who has not set the boiler up properly.

What is the total heat output of your rads?

What is the calculated heat loss of your property?

A typical three bed semi is about 10-12 kW heat loss so with a 28 kW boiler is yours a six bed detached?

Tony

Thanks Agile. Now if only you could answer my bulleted questions one by one please. You are probably correct 'bout a numpty installer but I need to sort the mess.

So why would the boiler go to s53 from a cold house if the pump is working and the system flushed ?

What really is going on in a perfect situation at the boiler when starting from cold - shouldn't the return temp theoretically be much smaller compared to flow ? And only gradually rise as the house heats ?

And why would this happen two weeks later after install ?

I am sorry about this but I was asking a few questions about your system which might have enabled me to better understand whats going on and perhaps we could offer you some advice based on your installation.

Very unfortunately you have chosen not to answer them but instead to ask for some educational advice so that you can try to understand whats going on in your system. My answer to that is that you should join a plumbing/heating course at your local college.

You have made me think that, like quite a few others, you imagine that all plumbers left school at 16 with three GCSEs and have a very low intelligence and that you are bound to be eminently more superior than they could ever be. I can only agree that there are a few like that but that does not mean that the rest are like that. Was your installer one of those who does not really uderstand how boilers work and can only connect uop a few pipes?

On Christmas day I am going to a lunch cooked by a black lady. What assumptions would you make about her?

Tony

Sponsored Links
In all honesty I actually think that plumbing is a very skilled job and at best involves knowing a lot about mechanics, fluids, pressure as a starter and so no I can't say I could ever compete with a good plumber.

However the questions about the boiler and the theory are genuine puzzles that I would like the answers to and I thought this is a forum where one could try and get them. I didn't want to remain ignorant 'bout the CH system as I have been to now.

As for your xmas lunch cooked by a black lady - bon appetito.

1) Does the error mean the return temp is too low ?

Yes and no, it means the flow is heating up quicker than the return dur to it not beimg moved from the boiler quick enough and the water thats returning is cooler by more than 20degs of the flow.

2) The system has been flushed and pump is in order (i can hear water flowing thru all rads), why would the heat not be dissipated ie what are other causes ?

just cos the pumps a pumping,doesnt mean its pumping at the required rate.s53 isnt generally a dirt issue.

3)setting d0 = 21 allows everything to function - why so ?

because youve reduced the output the boiler is giving thus matching this to what your pump is designed to deliver.

Just trying to get to grips with this "complex" beast we have now.

you dont have anything complex,to set d0 either carryout a heatloss calc on your property and set to this figure or use 1.5Kw for every radiator + 0.5 for all pipework and 2kw for hot water cylinder.

Thx

dont worry about tony,he'll tell you that the only issue causing your s53 is balancing. ;)

what size pump have you got.
whats your heatloss cal come back at
what type and size cylinder is it
do you still have an expansion tank in the loft for the heating.
do you have a magnaclean,spirovent,boiler buddy or any other system cleanser fitted.

Thanks Icgs - once I get back home tonight, I will post the answers to the questions you raised.

Icgs - here is the info

pump = grundfos 15-60
heatloss = 16kw
cylinder = smallish (1.5m high) and completed lagged with plaster like stuff
no expansion tank - converted to sealed
magnaclean fitted on return

I am sorry about this but I was asking a few questions about your system which might have enabled me to better understand whats going on and perhaps we could offer you some advice based on your installation.

Very unfortunately you have chosen not to answer them but instead to ask for some educational advice so that you can try to understand whats going on in your system. My answer to that is that you should join a plumbing/heating course at your local college.

You have made me think that, like quite a few others, you imagine that all plumbers left school at 16 with three GCSEs and have a very low intelligence and that you are bound to be eminently more superior than they could ever be. I can only agree that there are a few like that but that does not mean that the rest are like that. Was your installer one of those who does not really uderstand how boilers work and can only connect uop a few pipes?

On Christmas day I am going to a lunch cooked by a black lady. What assumptions would you make about her?

Tony

Haha love the last line Tony, you really are the forum nutter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back