vaillant ecotec 831 leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Had to drain some water from my C H system which resulted in a drop in bar pressure on the boiler. Topped up the system but the needle on the small dial went into the red zone. Drained of some water to bring the needle back down but now have a small leak coming from the bottom of the boiler casing. Cannot see where the leak is coming from ( only leaks when C H is running ) Anyboby got any idea`s as to the problem ?? Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
How did you drain the water out?

As I have not visited you, I dont understand why you think that I should know where your boiler is leaking!

Tony

Probably the pressure relief valve........... and the nut isn't done up properly underneath.

If the leak is on the far right hand side this is particularly likely.

You will need to change the PRV and tighten the nut properly afterwards.

How did you drain the water out?

As I have not visited you, I dont understand why you think that I should know where your boiler is leaking!

Tony
Hi Tony, I drained the water out using the drain cock on the C.H. flow pipe on the underside of the boiler. The leak is oviously from inside the boiler itself, its just dripping out the bottom of the casing on the left hand side. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably the pressure relief valve........... and the nut isn't done up properly underneath.

If the leak is on the far right hand side this is particularly likely.

You will need to change the PRV and tighten the nut properly afterwards.
Hi Simon, thanks for the info. I`ve got an engineer coming tomorrow to service the boiler ( I`ll see what he makes of it ) Is it something I could do myself ( I`m quite a competent d.i.y.er ) and any idea of the cost or should I leave it to the engineer ? :confused:

Take your pick from flexible hoses, pump or diverter valve.

As there is little info then I would guess at the spindle on diverter valve leaking

They do have a spindle on the motorised divertor an they r prone to leakin especially if system is dirty

So we are told but I have yet to see one of those diverter valve shafts leaking yet.

Well I've seen a fair few.

Right PIA.

Hello all. As I said previously, the engineer came today and had to change the diverter valve ( £280.00 +vat !!! ) which was leaking. He showed me the inside of the old one which was a bit gunged up and looking a bit rough around the spindle. So the total bill for parts, fitting, service and flue gas analiss + vat was £414.00 !!! :eek: :cry:
Thanks for all your posts on this subject.

Vaillant themselves usually offer a one fee one fix offer over the quieter months. Usually around £220 if I recall correctly.

I also have a recollection that the last diverter i fitted was retailing ( not giving trade costs here) at around £140.

You've got the best Vaillant engineer on your doorstep in Northampton and didn't use him! I'm afraid the price you paid was far from correct. I'll let you Google the part number 178978...

Any reputable engineer will mark up 20-30% on a trade price to cover dead stock, faulty returns and support etc. Certainly that does not arrive at £280 :eek:

It should take about an hour to complete with a flue combustion analysis and expansion vessel check/charge. Maybe 20 mins more if the combustion door seal requires changing.

Thankfully at least the water leak didn't get into the DV motor and take out the PCB (usual fault).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back