Vaillant ecotec plus 418. Many problems.

Starting from cold, with all to off and all stats down.

On the programmer, switch hot water to on. Anything happen? If no, good.
On the hot water cylinder stat, turn up the stat till it click. Do boiler and pump run and the heated water is going to cylinder flow connected? If yes, good.
Turn cylinder stat down, do the boiler stop, and pump (pump over run) continue to run for a few minutes then stop? If yes, good.

Switch off hot water on the programmer.
On the programmer, switch on heating to on. Anything happen? If no, good.
Turn room stat till it click. Do boiler and pump come on and the heated water is going to radiators? If yes, good.
Turn room stat down, do the boiler stop, and pump continue to run for a few minutes then stop? If yes, good.

*********************************** my reply..

From cold, on the programmer, turn both hot water and heating on.
Turn both hot water and heating stats on.
Boiler and pump come on, heated water should spilt up and going to hot water and heating. Is it working?
Turn down room stat, heated water should stop going to radiators.
Turn down cylinder stat, boiler should stop and pump continue to run for a few minutes then stop.

Daniel.

Reading through it though and taking in mind each test may have been days apart, I will
try and do the full test from cold at the weekend, currently got builders in who keep
using the water and turning the power off to verify the results

All fine upto *********************

Hot water and heating on, water does not split between water and heat, it chooses one or
the other, i think its based on the water temp in the tank myself. Both temps set to 60 then
we got hot water, when he switched the rad upto 68 we got heat.

Boiler comes on and today it switched to heat only despite both water and heat on the panel
set to always on not timed. Tap water lukewarm.

Switch the stat down on either one and boiler switches off, totally ignoring the demand for
heat from the other stat.

They changed the valve in the airing cupboard and the programmer/timer with no success.

Sponsored Links
They are at least admitting there is a proper fault now and its not me imagining it or making it up. I think
the fact they know ive been over to the office to complain may have nudged them to work harder.

This was just a verbal complaint over the counter with the reception. If i need to take it further then
i will. it never rains here we get monsoons....

As soon as we finish issues with one family member another one starts...

Thanks for reading guys... If anyone can think of anything please shout...

DP has a high regard for those who work for HAs.

Maybe he needs to fly in to sort you out?

Could do that if mileage charge is paid as well as overnight stay

Tony I know a few guys who work for HA who are very experienced. Glasgowgas is one such person. To say every one of them is an idiot who does not know the business end of a screwdriver is unfair. Plenty properties in Glasgow where HA installers have done sterling work and end result is superlative

Let us not confuse the seesaw repairs at OP's residence where boiler is installed by a plumber who may or may not understand how the boiler works or may not have read the MIs, with situation compounded by the electrician who does not have understanding of boiler requirements or has difficulty wiring a Y plan

Here is an exercise you can perhaps try. Boiler is a Vokera Flowmatic or an Excel. It is to be converted to Y plan using Danfoss FP715

Are they actually testing anything with test meters or just changing parts? I can't wait to hear what the fault really was. All the external electrical parts to a central heating system can be checked and proved faulty before a new part is ordered.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the electrician does use a meter and had print outs of the wiring diagram.

I have a feeling if they do sort it they will just say it was a faulty wire or something and
be a bit coy about the actual fault.

If the wiring is faulty then how did the original system work perfectly and efficiently for
18 years?

The issues only started when the new system was installed.

The "wires" in a wiring system are usually totally fine.

The problems arise with how they are connected at the controls and wiring centre.

Heating engineers who cannot wire up a system are always suspect to me in their capabilities.

Tony

The saga continues... 2 guys have been here since 10am and checked every wire yet they cannot get it to
switch both the hot water and the heating on at the same time.

The guys left having switched both sliders on the controller to OFF and im sitting here thinking its getting
warmer. The boiler was still firing and only switched off when i turned the room stat down.

I REALLY want to do things to it involving a larger hammer.....

Eric, why not invite Tony to sort your problem?
He might do it for free if there is curry, coffee and wine on the table- perhaps not in that order,

As I said earlier, or in writing that they need to sort out the issues in a set time (say 10 working days) is else you shall be getting two independent firms to price the remedial work. With the intention of withholding rent to the value of the costs.

I could wear a Sari and flutter my eyelashes at him if he wishes :)

Dont think the missus will though?

Which Tony? Not seen anyones profile show as local to me, Birmingham.

2 guys have been here since 10am and checked every wire yet they cannot get it to switch both the hot water and the heating on at the same time....

I can't wait to hear what this fault turns out to be! Your heating system isn't controlled by the International Space Station is it?

I recently went to a very simple 13 year old boiler that had foxed British Gas during five visits involving three different people.

I just could not believe how simple the actual fault was and that none of them had found it.

It took me just four minutes to rectify the problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back