vaillant ecotec plus 831 Filter - is it easy to get to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vaillant ecotec plus 831 and I would like to have a look at the canoe filter -

Firstly,

Do I need to drain the system to have a look at it - Im guessing yes

Is it easy to get to - can I just undo it (left pipe beside pressure sensor)

Thanks in advance

O and whilst Im here - can I just pop out the pressure sensor and stick that back in -or does the system need to be drained for that too

Sponsored Links
Don't touch it.

Yes everything will need to be drained

Defending on the model removing the pipe could cause a leak higher up in the hose or hex.

Also I have removed many canoe filters from these boilers. But never in one piece.

What problem are you having? Why would you like to look at the canoe filter?

I have heating and not a lot of hot water - especially at high pressure

I had the plate heat exchanger replaced but they say its the main heat exchanger now - I have read that it could be as simple as this filter being blocked so wanted to just check before another £450 on a power flush

If the filter is blocked the boiler would be noisy (rumbling) during DHW.

What does D.36 say when you run the tap?

Sponsored Links
It is noisy

If I have the water on low at the tap I get some water for a bit then it fades away to cold

If I have the tap on full it goes warm for 5 secs then nothing

I have watched the boiler it flames for 10 seconds or so and gives up - also very bad kettling noise

Have had the plate HE changed but I don't think they checked the filter so that's why I'm asking

I put some fernox f5 in and that made the HW run for a bit longer but after 5 days it's bad again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back