vaillant ecotec plus 831 kettling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is a common problem but Im after some advice. The boiler is 5 years old and we are in a hard water area. The main heat exchanger is kettling as we have changed the plate HE to no avail. I have used Fernox F5 and that helps but you can only get hot water for about 5 minutes on low running tap for about 3-5 days before it goes again- central heating runs OK.

I have bought some Fernox DS-40 but Im just a DIY'er and was going to stick it in a radiator and run it through the system then - my main Q is - will this do anything for the hot water system.

The container the DS-40 comes in looks large - shall I use it all (I will flush it a few times after and neutralise).

Should I just get it power flushed professionally - the reason I have been holding off is that we are having building works done in May and we are getting a new boiler fitted then.

Sponsored Links
DS-40 is a powerflushing chemical designed to be used with a powerflushing machine, it's good stuff but it's in a dry granular form and I wouldn't advise just trying to pour it into a radiator.

Are you sure your boiler's pump is working correctly?

Why are you buying a new boiler? Your current one should go on for many years yet

Thanks for the reply muggles

I was going to mix it up with some water as I noticed it was powder based - would that work? - I was going to close off all the radiators except the towel rail - drain the towel rail and dump it in there - put the pressure back up and let the air our of the towel rail and run that for a few hours.

I know its not the pump as we had an engineer round but they want £380 to powerflush.

Reason we are changing the unit is that so far over the last 2 years (its only 5 years old) we have changed

Water Pressure Sensor
Diverter Valve
Pressure Vessel

and we are having some building work done and it would need to be repositioned

Jesus these boilers are unburstable, with the probs u have it must be full of ****, this problem is a simple fix probably £150 top to sort it... Get ann engineer in , it's a standard fault

Sponsored Links
I have had 2 engineers

The first from HES - he said plate HE

The other I got to change the HE and albeit it had a small leak it wasn't the problem - the said main HE and stick in some fernox F5 and hope for the best or full power flush

I stuck in some F5 and nothing - stuck in another and it was better for 4 days but only for a 3 minute low pressure shower. I stuck in another F5 last week and it's rubbish yet again - hence why I'm thinking DS-40

Go for a full powerflush (which should have been done at the time of installation anyway). These are good boilers, hang on to it - repositioning won't be a problem

With all the hassles we have had since it ran out of warranty is it worth it - if I get a new one when we have work done the it'll be about 1.5k - whereas a powerflush is over £450 with vat and no guarantee it'll work.

I'd still keep it, but it's your money.... What will you get instead?

I heard that intergas had no diverter valve and was easier to maintain so might look at these

Also, my boiler seems to gain pressure all the time (daily) - Im guessing the filler loop might need to be looked at - but saying that after a few weeks it decides to lose pressure

I noticed you are in Oxfordshire - north or south - if I can get a better quote for a flush then I might decided to do that - and then if the boiler starts working well (I don't have confidence it will) then we would just relocate it rather than get a new one

I think I will give the DS-40 a bash - I will dilute it in some warm water first and stick it in the radiator-

I'm in South Oxfordshire. Be aware that, although DS40 is a very good cleaner, it will rot your system faster than anything if it's not properly flushed out

There is as much work to move a boiler as to fit a new one.

But it seems that you want to do everything on the cheap and worst still you may use builders instead of a boiler engineer.

I would be charging about £940 to fit a new/used boiler in a new position. part of fitting a boiler is cleaning the system.

It sounds as if either yours was not cleaned originally or if you have had a leaking filling loop which quickly spoils a system with sludge.

It would probably not be a bad idea to buy a new boiler if you are going to have it professionally installed by someone who will clean the system properly AND take responsibility for any sludge issues. Sludge is NOT covered by maker's warrantees!

Do you go to the Castle Balti ?

Tony

Hello filter hello anyone listening???

Hi Bunnyman - I'm listening but you haven't been descriptive enough -

When you say - Jesus these boilers are unburstable, with the probs u have it must be full of s**t, this problem is a simple fix probably £150 top to sort it... Get ann engineer in , it's a standard fault -

Are you saying the fault is the filter as they seem pretty convinced its kettling due to sounds and lack of water but heating all OK

I had a Valiant engineer and HES round and they both say main HE

There is as much work to move a boiler as to fit a new one.

But it seems that you want to do everything on the cheap and worst still you may use builders instead of a boiler engineer.

I would be charging about £940 to fit a new/used boiler in a new position. part of fitting a boiler is cleaning the system.

It sounds as if either yours was not cleaned originally or if you have had a leaking filling loop which quickly spoils a system with sludge.

It would probably not be a bad idea to buy a new boiler if you are going to have it professionally installed by someone who will clean the system properly AND take responsibility for any sludge issues. Sludge is NOT covered by maker's warrantees!

Do you go to the Castle Balti ?

Tony

we are getting an extension done and part of the works will be to powerflush and fit a new boiler as well as fit new radiators in the areas required - Im just trying to pre-long its life until May

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back