Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 - Rubber Hoses: Potential Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been advised by original installing company (who have serviced each year) of potential problems with rubber hoses in this boiler now almost 5 years old. It seems installing company gave me a 5 year warranty (which apparently is NOT registered with Vaillant) but will not replace the hoses free of charge. Installing company want to charge me between £220-£300 to replace rubber hoses for copper hoses. Vaillant won't be responsible for anything as say the boiler not registered with them (have not yet asked installing company why not) but have advised me that this estimate is excessively high. Have spent time searching various plumbing forums so know that (since at least 2010) there have been many problems with these hoses splitting and can totally ruin the boiler. Obviously I need to replace the hoses as cannot afford for these hoses to split but need realistic costing. 2 plumbing companies want to look at boiler before estimating (?), 1 said he thought I should get Vaillant to replace them (at least they would be cheaper if they think current estimate is excessive!). Heating parts company estimate copper hoses would be about £80. Has anyone had similar problems - can anyone give me any advice before I go any further? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think the kit costs more than £80. Contact Vaillant again for a fixed price repair. They will fit the necessary copper pipes for you. It may even work out cheaper.
If one of the "bunnies" sees this thread, they will be able to offer more advice.
They have a lot of experience with Vaillant boilers.

The pipe cost is dependant on the boiler model...for the 837 they're around £150 from memory. Add in an auto air vent and the bottom price estimate could then be reasonable. Whilst the pipes are out it's also prudent to check/remove the filter. Once the boiler pressure's dropped is common to find the pressure sensors failed too...another £20 to £30. These boilers were riddled with design faults and Vaillant know how to exploit you with the upgraded parts. :rolleyes:

Thank you to Gasguru and Bolshy - I have decided to go back to Vaillant and ask them for a quote through one of their own fitters. Have had another reply to say as there is no other potential problem (annual check has only just been done by the installing company) it should be a simple job to replace the hoses for copper ones. I think I am looking at potentially £200 - so frustrating as there in no actual problem - just to prevent a potential problem!! :cry: thanks again

Sponsored Links
Folks, surely the best ( cheapest ) solution would be for him to take out a Brit Gas cover at about £200 pa and let then have all the fun?

Or is there something that Namsag is hiding about what BG will not cover?

Tony

Retail £140 plus vat a pair labour could be anythin but we charge £88 so £228 pls vat is reasonable,everyone goes on about these hoses , they have changed the to copper but only because the hoses split on poorly flushed systems , never had any on over 200 of mine! If worried just change the hoses! :rolleyes:

Of all the vaillants ive seen, ive only ever changed one set of hoses and TBH i probably didnt need to change them. I was being lazy and ordered a set rather than just reclipping the hose.

Im not sayong they wont leak but tbh it sounds like the installation co. are touting for a wee bit of extra business.

Much more important than the hoses, the combustion door seal is due for replacement! Get this done urgently! Part is only around £20 and should be done in conjunction with a service.

This will kill your boiler far more certainly than a rubber hose splitting

One of the rubber hoses on my 937 appears to be leaking, looks like a weeping joint or slack clip. If it was a 'jubilee clip' I'd tighten it up but unlikely to be able to with the crimped clip.

Is this the same hose(s) as the hoses splitting?

If so should I get them replaced now before any more issues arise?

My 6 year old ecotec still has the rubber hoses

Although according to vailant its time I changed my boiler for a new more efficient ecotec!

Which goes to show, as far as Vaillant are concerned, the hoses can outlast their boilers, as far as efficiency is concerned. I'm not sure their money and planet saving sales pitch is going to work with 99% of customers......How can they say their old ecotec isn't green enough in only six years? They must think we're all stupid.......
:mrgreen:

Is there any significant difference in design over the last six years which would increase the efficiency?

Even more plastic parts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back