Vaillant ecotec slow start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just had a new PCB fitted to my ecotec plus 428. At the start of the day when the room stat called for heat the boiler showed the flame symbol but it just idled for over an hour before firing up for real. Then it worked fine throughout the day. I was advised to adjust the D.0 setting to 19 and since then it seems to work fine. Is there any disadvantage in setting it at 19?

Sponsored Links
I've just had a new PCB fitted to my ecotec plus 428. At the start of the day when the room stat called for heat the boiler showed the flame symbol but it just idled for over an hour before firing up for real. Then it worked fine throughout the day. I was advised to adjust the D.0 setting to 19 and since then it seems to work fine. Is there any disadvantage in setting it at 19?
was it working alright before the faulty PCB ?

Yes but it became erratic that's why I had a replacement PCB fitted which cured the erratic behaviour but had the slow start up. Everything is now fine with the D0 set at 19 as long as it isn't damaging anything. 19 refers to the Kilowats doesn't it?

Yes but it became erratic that's why I had a replacement PCB fitted which cured the erratic behaviour but had the slow start up. Everything is now fine with the D0 set at 19 as long as it isn't damaging anything. 19 refers to the Kilowats doesn't it?
so what was it set to before ??

Sponsored Links
Setting it to a limit of 19kW certainly won't do any damage and it may better suit your system, but I would be wondering why it has suddenly become necessary.
When the heating first comes on with everything starting out cold does the water temperature on the boiler display rise very rapidly towards the boiler's target temperature?

When it's idling, does the display show S.53? Range rating it is reducing the power output and allowing it to function. At full power the heat probably cannot be transferred away fast enough. This could mean undersized pipework, low pump speed or a partial blockage.

Is it possible the old pcb was already range rated to 19kw?

Last edited:
so what was it set to before ??
I don't know what the setting was before I altered it - I stupidly fiddled before checking - according to the leaflet that came with the PCB it was set to the the factory setting which was max.power.

Setting it to a limit of 19kW certainly won't do any damage and it may better suit your system, but I would be wondering why it has suddenly become necessary.
When the heating first comes on with everything starting cold does the water temperature on the boiler display rise very rapidly towards the boiler's target temperature?

It became necessary because a new PCB was fitted . When it starts up now that the setting is at 19 it heats up gently up to the set temperature.

When it's idling, does the display show S.53? Range rating it is reducing the power output and allowing it to function. At full power the heat probably cannot be transferred away fast enough. This could mean undersized pipework, low pump speed or a partial blockage.

Is it possible the old pcb was already range rated to 19kw?

The display doesn't show S53 - it is possible that the old PCB was set at 19kw. The fact is that now it is set to 19 the system is running very well - just so long as setting it to 19 doesn't do any damage or cost a fortune in gas

It became necessary because a new PCB was fitted . When it starts up now that the setting is at 19 it heats up gently up to the set temperature.
As long as you're happy the radiators are warming up as quickly as they ever did then everything sounds just fine. The 19kW setting won't cost you any more and won't do any damage at all.

Who knows, the boiler may even last longer if it never has to run flat out on full power.

Last edited:
The display doesn't show S53 - it is possible that the old PCB was set at 19kw. The fact is that now it is set to 19 the system is running very well - just so long as setting it to 19 doesn't do any damage or cost a fortune in gas

To be clear - did it show S.53 *before* you set d.0 to 19? I.e. when it was idling?

To be clear - did it show S.53 *before* you set d.0 to 19? I.e. when it was idling?

S.53 did not show - there was no water shortage. The whole problem was to do with the new PCB setting (D.0 presumably set at full whack which was too much for the system. Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back