Vaillant or Viessnmann

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have narrowed my choice of combi boiler to the following 2. One is reccommended by the Plumber.
The Vaillant ecotec plus 837 or Viessmann 200w 35kw HE.
Its for a quite large 2 bed flat with a bathroom (with bath mixer/shower attachment) and an additoinal sep shower room. They both seem efficient but I would prefer a boiler that was was flexible in order to accomodate possible underfloor heating and solar heating in the future.
I would also like to know if this review is accurate:

"Do not purchase this boiler unless you have a fully insulated, new-build home. It is entirely unsuitable as a replacement unit. The reason for this is that the 200W has a basic design flaw in that it uses a diverter valve to provide heat to EITHER the radiator circuit OR the DHW cylinder but NOT both at the same time. The Viessmann documentation is in error when it says that you CAN have both at the same time. In practice, whenever you use any domestic hot water, the radiators immediately go cold because the diverter valve switches all heating to the DHW. The system relies upon the house being sufficiently well insulated that the loss of heating goes unnoticed. However, the worst part of dealing with Viessmann is that their idea of solving a customer's problems appears to be that they simply ignore them. Do not even bother to write or email to Viessmann in England or Germany because, from my experience, they will simply ignore your correspondence even to the point of refusing to acknowledge having received it. If you do manage to speak to them then everything is always your fault and never Viessmann's fault. One final point to bear in mind is that the boiler is "too clever for its own good". It would seem that it has been made deliberately complicated to configure in order to prevent the user from understanding it. Unfortunately, it also appears to have the same effect upon the Viessmann engineers and their trained installers who, from my experience, do not seem to know what they are doing. All of this is a great pity because the boiler appears to be well constructed. Caveat Emptor!" :?:

Sponsored Links
Toss a coin. Both will match your requirements and both are good boilers.

So they will both support an extra circulating pump in order to control wet underfloor heating and also support solar heating?

Underfloor is largely independent, the pump is controlled by the roomstats and programmer, when there is a demand the boiler is sent a signal to fire up. As for solar, how do you expect to incorporate this into a combi boiler setup, are you going to have a hot water cylinder as well?

Sponsored Links
The Viessmann will work best with their controls which are very clever but difficult to understand.

The vaillant is a simpler product and easier to interface to 3rd party products.

If i had to choose, i'd say the Viessmann customer support is better than Vaillant UK, which is mainly staffed by Gloworm people in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back