Vaillant PRV leaky - spring clip query & solution though

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am slowly but surely getting the boiler (Vaillant turboMax) to be a happier one - not doing anything gas based, just sorting things like a loose NTC insert (screwed in tight but white bit spun and triggered F.1).

Anyway, all seemed to be going ok and I had read on here somewhere that they often work better on the lower side of 1-1.5 bar and mine was sitting a shade under 1.5 bar.

I thought (like a nit), that rather than bleed it from a radiator, I could lose the extra pressure AND check the PRV was a happy bunny by twisting the top.

It released a shade more than I wanted (quick thing) so I topped it back up via the filling loop, closed off both the filling valves and started it all up.

Pressure rose a tiny bit as it all warmed up, and everything was fab.

Later on, I went to check all was well and noticed pressure had fallen to about half a bar. Hmmm. Topped it back up and went to contemplate life the universe and boilers with a cup of tea. Back upstairs and sure enough pressure is heading South again.

Felt the PRV pipe and it was very warm - went outside and a saucer placed under the pipe had water in it when I next checked a few minutes later.

Have tried repeatedly opening and closing it (PRV not saucer) - letting it close gently and also "bang shut" in the hope it will re-seat. It won't.

Here come my three questions (sorry about the waffle), any thoughts welcome please.

1. Is there a simple way to generally make these seal again - or is it a case of "once they leak they need replacing"?

2. The valve looks a bit grim to get tools at - but there is what appears to be a spring clip around it. Is this a "fast disconnect / connect" system where I just but the correct replacement part, drain off surplus pressure and then five minutes later job done? Not seen this on other PRVs

3. Lastly, as I see Vaillant PRV's are about £30 including delivery. Can I simply put a generic 3 Bar PRV AFTER the Vaillant PRV? I cannot see that this would be dangerous in any way - but it might make a fairly grim task quite a bit easier to handle. If there is no safety issue (and I cannot see how there would be), then fitting a second, 3 bar PRV after the failed one would seem a simple and safe solution.

At the risk of irking people even more with a fourth question, is it generally a good idea NOT to test a PRV - on the basis that it would have very happily opened - but may not be all that keen on properly closing again. I have since found through googling, that it is almost unheard of for one to "fail shut" unless frozen, but they OFTEN fail to re-seal - as I now know.

Kind Regards & Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
isolate boiler,release pressure through prv,disconnect pipe at bottom of prv and pull out spring clip.Replace with vaillant prv.Make sure rubber gromet goes back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back