EV or PRV problem?

Even better to turn it until it clicks quickly about 6-8 times!

Then repressurise to 1.5 Bar when cold.

Tony Glazier

If you had done this as previously advised you might not have needed to replace the PRV.

When changing the PRV just isolate the CH on the boiler valves.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links

Tony Glazier

If you had done this as previously advised you might not have needed to replace the PRV.

Tony Glazier

Do the isolation valves tend to leak on this boiler if disturbed?

Tony Glazier

Tony Glazier

Tried it, but it didn't work for me unfortunately.

There is no water leaking anywhere within the boiler or the pipework directly underneath. TBH I'm a total novice at this and dont know where the isolation valves are!

Sponsored Links
Dont know where these valves are, so no danger of me touching them :D . Thanks guys for the heads up on that one. When I do it I'm going to bleed the radiators, screw down auto air vent, drain boiler with the PRV, fit new PRV, then re- pressurise to 1 1/4 BAR ( as suggested in a previous post). Seems a very slow drip at the moment though, so might bide my time and see how long it takes for the pressure to drop.

I don't see any reason for bleeding the radiators or closing off the Automatic Air Valve.
Yes you might need to open a bleed valve to allow air in to allow water to flow out quicker. You will have to bleed radiators after re filling.
What purpose would closing the AAV achieve. If you do close it (no harm done) you must open it again before re filling to allow any air to escape

I don't see any reason for bleeding the radiators or closing off the Automatic Air Valve.
Yes you might need to open a bleed valve to allow air in to allow water to flow out quicker. You will have to bleed radiators after re filling.
What purpose would closing the AAV achieve. If you do close it (no harm done) you must open it again before re filling to allow any air to escape

David937 wrote:
No need to drain the system, make sure the radiators have no air in them, screw down the automatic air vent, drain the boiler and carry out your repair, water can't escape unless air replaces it, hence making sure there is no air in your radiators and screwing down the AAV.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/ev-or-prv-problem.303114/page-2#2215680#ixzz1gEJDoB9X

You bleed the rads and close the aav to stop air getting into the system so you create a vaccum, hence no need to use isolation valves OR drain the system OR let any air in. It makes work quicker and simpler. Its the same principle as bunging.

Got my PRV today. Just wondered if I need to fit a new ( fibre?) washer when I replace the PRV? Thanks.

Been in the cupboard under my stairs, sat by my boiler with my new PRV all weekend awaiting a response to the question above :LOL: Is it common practice to replace the washer when fitting a new PVR? Thanks.

Yep, with the computer- I find it helps to pass the time :p

I can get a spare washer if they're usually replaced- just want to make sure I do it right...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back