Vaillant Tuebomax VUW GB 242 /1E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a vaillant Turbomax VUW GB 242 /1E. And it keeps failing the diagnostic panel shows the yellow ignition indicator light flashing. The boiler then won’t work not for heating or water. I have to reset the boiler at the switch and then it fires up as normal runs until the thermostat shuts down the system. When it tries to fire up again it's the yellow light disco again. I replaced the diaphram about eight months ago.

Can anybody help

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a flame failure fault.

Usually fairly simple to identify but its CORGI territory so I cannot give you advice on that.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Corgi territory is a rocky place to tread. But thanks anyway.
I banged about on the net and spoke to Vaillant and with much staring at the boiler everything seamed to point to the Pressure Differential Switch. So I changed it this morning and so far so good. I had a look inside the old one and there was a lot of a redish deposit that must have been causing it to fail. Quite an easy job really Turn the inlet valves of. Take the combustion chamber front of. drain the CH system down and a simple clip held the switch in place. £30.29 in total and a drive to the shop not bad for a Hot shower and a worm house. :D :D :D

Cheers,

Peter

a worm house
You live in a CAN?

The pressure switch is designed to make the boiler muck about when the pressure gets low. Rather bizarre but well known. Yours was obviously telling the boiler it thought the pressure was low, because of the gunk in it.

Sponsored Links
Yes sorry about the spelling. That one got past me.
It is nice and warm not underground.

Is it usual for a such a large deposit to build up.

Bengasman. Could you explain the sooner rather than later quote as I am starting to get a bit worried. Should I expect more problems as to this having a knock on effect. Or will it be just the normal stuff.

Peter

Corrosion will effect just about everything in the system. At least, easiyl, half the repairs and replacements I do are down to it.
Rads, valves and primary h/e’s will leak, plate h/e’s and diverters clog up, pumps wear out etc.
More boilers die from corrosion than from old age.
Corrosion is by far my number one money generator.
Lots of people knock powerflushing but is the only way to really clean the system.
That is conditional to using fx2 which some boilers can’t handle, and carried out by someone who knows all the tricks, got all the gear and is willing to do the hard work.
I have the gear, know the tricks, but am not too keen on wearing myself out so charge a fair bit to do it.
Having said that, though not as good, a flush with chemicals is a lot better than nothing and a lot cheaper.

Can second all of that - except I'm sure I don't know all the tricks!

It's impossible to clean 100%, but it's worth doing something. Law of diminishing returns, as usual. You can undo/take off a small rad to have a look at what your grot situation is. If you've run with a cleaner for a week, then use the connections to do a mains flush(see FAQ) and put decent inhibitor in, you've done all you would normally need, without spending much.
Adding a Magnaclean or Boiler Buddy is one stage more, with the benefit that you can SEE what's going on. (without doing anything, in the case of the B-B)

I have a similar problem on a TurboMAX 282

Peter, did you notice that the light flashed even when there was no deman for CH or HW? If I switch mine off, and wait almost exactly 5 minutes - I get the flashing light.

If so I might give the pressure differential switch a go!

Aris

I've got a replacement differential switch now. Is it really necessary to drain the whole CH system down? I see there are two tubes which fit into the back - I assume these just press in and stay there - there are no threads or anything else I can see.

Hi aris,

Hope you have sorted it out already. But if not,
Yes after the demand for water had stoped the light would start flashing and would be constant. only a reset would start the boiler. apparently there is a timing issue also with the switch. If the small white plunger that sits on top of the switch does not fall quickly enought than the system locks up.
Anyway I only needed to drain the internal system of the boiler not the whole thing. Thank god.
I shut all the valves of including the one you cant really see with the white knob on the cold water shut of valve and followed the steps I have mentioned above.
Then unclip the part and replace.

Do you need a PDF manual. I can email it to you if you do 1.173 kb not to big.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back