Vaillant Turbomax 242E diverter valve

Have changed some after only a couple of years and these are in flats. If its in a place with twice as many people then it could fail in half the time.

Sponsored Links
3 in 4 years i would say you are getting scammed also the diaphragms for these are less than a tenner so why are they not fitting these instead of a £100 valve.

Incidently how much are they scamming i mean charging you to change them

I have a vaillant boiler, pretty old one too, VCW221, not the turbomax, it is well over 15 years old, more like close to 20 years if I am not mistaken, and in all that time I only had to change its diverter valve once. and just a few other parts like the servo flow sensor, and combustion chamber housing.

Its been running flat out continuously now for the past 3 weeks non-stop at its lowest setting of approx 35degrees C, keeps the house really warm.
only had to increase it during the recent snow spell to about 50 degrees to componstate for the exceptional cold, still maintained 18 degrees minimum throughout. every now and again we boost individual room temeperature using a 1kw electrical fan heater running for about an hour.

3 in 4 years i would say you are getting scammed also the diaphragms for these are less than a tenner so why are they not fitting these instead of a £100 valve.

Incidently how much are they scamming i mean charging you to change them

The invoice total is 260 and this is for the value and labour. We spoke to the plumber today who said the boiler is 15 yrs old and he has been changing the value to keep the boiler going. We told him if he had of told us it was knackered we would have bought and fitted a new boiler as its now cost us double.

I will question why he is not using a cheaper value. I'm pretty sure its a scam and he's just trying to fob us off. They are still not doing the work!!!!

Sponsored Links
Have changed some after only a couple of years and these are in flats. If its in a place with twice as many people then it could fail in half the time.

No, just a small 2 bed , 1 single women and her cat

There are two versions of this valve, the latest version has been available for 6 years or more from when the original version ceased. This update sorted the main problem of leaks from the valve spindles. It is very rare to see this updated valve leak, but not impossible.

All other problems seen on the newer valve relate to no, or intermittent hot water. These are (in order of 'popularity')

1 Microswitch faulty (10 minute job, replace switch)
2 Diaphragm damaged (20 minute job, replace diaphragm kit)
3 microswitch arm broken (45-60 minute job, remove & refurbish valve with service kit, or some may choose to replace valve complete)

A point you may consider: I work on these boilers every day. I would find it hard to say how long ago a new diverter was fitted if i hadn't fitted it myself. one year, two years. Wouldn't like to say. Its always going to look newer than the rest of the boiler. :eek: :rolleyes:

the diaphragms for these are less than a tenner so why are they not fitting these instead of a £100 valve.
Because that wouldn't fix some diverter valve problems? :rolleyes:

I will question why he is not using a cheaper value. (=valve??)
There isn't "a cheaper valve".
If the Vaillant part is faulty that's what you have to replace it with.

The questions you have to ask first are about the symptom.
Then what was changed. There are 3 parts in the valve which can be changed, each is a cheaper spare part. But it might have needed a whole valve.

You probably are being routinely ripped off with a charge for a whole valve for a minor inadequate repair, but I don't see any way you can prove what was done, or not, in the past.

Diaphragm may not sort out some of the problems but microswitch can also be bought seperate.
No way 3 new valves in 4 years could be justified no one could be that unlucky and chances of them all just being out of g`tee.

Also 160 quid for 40 minutes work, 60 mins max

It takes me most of !.5 hours. But then I check/clean the plate and do a basic service at the same time.

Even so my charge comes to £234 compared with this cowboy's £260 !

But I suppose the Agent needs his cut.

I once did a repair at a rented flat occupied by this agent who wanted me to do Gas Certs for him and to invoice for £100 and give him back £40 cash commission! Thats the calibre of some agents!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back