vaillant turbomax plus 824e - hot water fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm having a problem with my vaillant boiler.
the problem started a couple of weeks ago, where i had problems getting it to run at all. We had it serviced & the fan replaced. A few days later we had the problem that the heating would not turn off & had a new programmer fitted (old one was mechanical & i think this just happened to be coincidence). Now heating works fine, but we have a problem with the hot water still (the water problem was there to begin with, its the only thing not working after the service/fan/programmer). Here's what happens.

Water is luke warm

press reset button - water gets hot (around 68 degrees showing on boiler)

run heating, then run water - water doesn't get hot (around 50 degrees showing on boiler)

run heating, wait for over-run to stop, then run water - water doesn't get hot (around 50 degrees showing on boiler)

run heating, then press reset - water gets hot (around 68 degrees showing on boiler)

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a sticking diverter valve!

A simple test is to leave boiler oFF for a couple of hours and then run hot water and see if the rads get hot !

Your engineer should have tested that when he came to the boiler. Its a common fault.

Why have you not called him back? Or is he a nupty? Are you sure the fan really needed to be changed?

Tony

hi thx for the reply agile, the fan did need replacing as it was very noisy.
he didnt test that as far as i know, and he did admit he had never worked on a vaillant boiler before. we were going to call him out again after the new year, but i will run this test when i get back home after the new year (we're away for the weekend now)

cheers, Royce

The word you are looking for is NUMPTY Tony and not nupty

There is no need to make derogatory remarks about someone who is not here to defend themselves

The engineer who turned up found fault with fan changed it as was requirede ,but your suspicious mind thought maybe not!

Now not everyone is familiar with the vaillant boiler even though it is relatively simple on most combi's to work out wether the divertor valve is faulty or heat exchanger is blocked

slagging others off to make yourself look like big man is not a good idea

Sponsored Links
hi thx for the reply agile, the fan did need replacing as it was very noisy.

he didnt test that as far as i know, and he did admit he had never worked on a vaillant boiler before.

cheers, Royce

I am pleased that the fan did need changing.

However, as Vaillants are the most popular better boiler then this fellow obviously has virtually no experience of working on boilers if he has never worked on a Vaillant before! He probably did a short course as he has obvious had little practical training/experience.

That will explain why he was not aware of the diverter fault and did not know how to test it.

Nupty is my own word, and as in Alice in Wonderland it means..........

Tony

I agree with Happy Plumber , some people seem unable to deal with any probs or questions , without slagging some one off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back