Vaillant Turbomax pressure gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newbie here,

I have a Vaillant Turbomax VUW GB and the pressure gauge slowly goes down over the months and an engineer comes in and adjusts the two valves underneath and re-pressurises the unit. My question is - is the pressure going down normal behaviour?

Secondly, why - depending on the company and/or engineer - do they announce some other part needs replacing as the unit worked perfectly well up to then. The last engineer said the flue exiting the building needed replacing. And the engineer before that (after tapping the main gas valve with a screwdriver - and jamming it) said the gas valve was broken and needed replacing.

Reason I'm asking is that the pressure gauge went to zero on Mon and I got the engineer in and he turned on the hot tap and then said the entire unit (pointing to the pressure gauge) needed replacing. I pointed to the two valves and said that's all need adjusting. Which he did and pressure is now at 1 BAR. Are there any honest gas engineers left out there?

Sponsored Links
Why do you have such bad views on engineers whom you don't name?

Where did you find them?

What kind of work do you do?

Tony

Are they charging you for their visits?

Tony

Are they charging you for their visitsTony

The Landlord is being charged, but that don't mean they can't keep on gouging him for extra revenue. I am getting in an independent contractor to inspect the unit (on my own money). My question is, is it usual for the water pressure to decay over time?

Sponsored Links
Why do you have such bad views on engineers whom you don't name?

Where did you find them?

What kind of work do you do?

I may well name them depending on the outcome of certain issues.

I didn't find them, they have a contract with the Landlord.

I'm retired, I used work in the computer/networking industry. I used to be on £120.00 an hour call out fee. That was back when £120 an hour was a lot of money. I never-ever bilked customers over fake issues.

Most landlords call cheap and not so good engineers!

Many engineers will not work for landlords!

Tony

If the pressure is decaying over a few months then you have a leak somewhere. Find where the pressure relief valve exits and tape a sandwich bag over it. If the bag fills up then you've found your leak. If it doesn't, more investigation will be required

Its not always just a case of people being ripped off its becoming an increasing problem that a lot out there just havent got a clue what they are doing even the most basic of tasks is beyond them.

It is normal for the system pressure to go down over a couple of months or more. This is due to micro leaks on rad valve spindles and some parts in the boiler.

Thats quite normal !

But its also normal for the occupier to know how to repressurise the system! Even tenants too.

Tony

Pressure dropping every couple of months is normal? You do talk rubbish sometimes Tony

Pressure dropping every couple of months is normal? You do talk rubbish sometimes Tony

OK, Landlord said they cannot 'authorise' me using my own engineer, so they sent another one. He arrived turned on the hot tap before adjusting the two valves underneath the unit and then announcing that the PRV needs replacing. Is it normal practice to have the HOT TAP running while adjusting the water pressure. The water pressure is currently at 0.9 BAR.

Last edited:
I've never turned the hot tap on to adjust heating pressure, that's an odd one. I did suspect that a new PRV might be required however

I had this with my turbo max and it was the pressure vessel that had deflated a guy pumped it up from the top of the unit and it was ok for a while but then started playing up again and I had to replace it cast about £300

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back