Vaillant VC GB 282E lockout problem (possibly associated with cold weater)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an pressurised system (Vaillant VC GB 282E system boiler and 155l Unistor cylinder). The boiler is about 20 years old but the original Vantage cylinder was replaced about 6 months ago.

Over the last few months the boiler periodically locks out. It restarts without problem when reset. The lock out most commonly means the boiler will not fire in the morning but I do not know if it goes into fault at the end of the evening demand (~10:30pm) or at the start of the morning demand (~6:00am).

The boiler is located in the loft (insulated but only to about 4") and the problem seems associated with cold snaps. Now that the weather is slightly warmer all seems to be ok.

Spoke to a Vaillant technical guy before Christmas who pointed me to the pressure switch (seems ok and lubricated by me) or the air pressure switch/ safeguard which I replaced a week or so ago. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Some doubt was called concerning the air frost stat when the cylinder was replaced but this was never proven. Can't think how a faulty stat would cause a problem and think this is a red herring. Pipe stat and air stat both currently installed.

I am reluctant to replace with a modern condensing boiler because of their short working life (<10 years I am advised). The fault seems troublesome but not major given that all seems ok once the lockout is reset.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
We don't give DIY advice here on gas or combustion issues You have already breached those guidelines.

Modern boilers of a reasonable make should last 10 years.

How long do you think modern cars last for? I see a lot of quite modern ones being scrapped!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back