Vaillant VCW 242 e secondary heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My VCW 242 hot water has been getting gradually more intermittent over the last couple of years and is now irritating! Central heating is fine.

Boiler comes on fine when hot water tap opened and then cuts out for about a minute then comes back on so the temp fluctuates at the tap.

It would appear that it may well be worth while changing the secondary heat exchanger, not been changed as far as I know for the last 20 years!

Question is - the kits I have seen online appear to come with a number of extra parts, pipes etc. Can I not just change the heat exchanger without all the associated pipework? Is the "kit" with the extra pipes a different type of heat exchanger hence the extra parts?

Just for info I am trained as an instrument maker\toolmaker with experience of hydraulic and pneumatic systems and have a healthy respect for any tradesman but it does look as though this is a job I can handle myself.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Jambo muzungu

You will need to change the pipes as well unless the heat exchanger is stainless steel

Is your heat exchanger the very old plastic one?

Which used to leak?

If it is stainless steel then they can be cleaned.

Thanks for the responses and I am impressed with the Jambo!

The heat exchanger is stainless. I am assuming then that I can just swap out the exchanger without the associated piping and bits and pieces. To be honest I think I would prefer to put a new exchanger in as it has lasted me well without expense so I am not that fussed about spending a bit on a new one.

Out of interest best way to get them cleaned, ultrasonic bath?

Opinions? (and thanks for quick responses)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll go with the "chemicals" and see what happens, I like an experiment (it is for me anyway!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back