Vaillant Heat Exchanger and Diverter Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just replaced the heat exchanger in a Vaillant VCW GB 242 E. It is from the old plastic unit to a smaller metal one with new pipes.

I have not powered it back up yet as the instructions recommend changing a part in the diverter valve and cutting a wire on the PCB.

Can anyone let me know if this is really necessary?

Thanks in anticipation

Adrian :confused:

Sponsored Links
Try it first !

Have you pressurised the system?

So many joints which could leak!

Tony

yes it is nessecary to fit the disc and snip the link!

Agile,

I have pressurised it. Couldn't resist testing those joints!

Just the one leak!

I am sure it will fire up, but I am not sure if I might cause any internal damage, hence I was hoping someone might tell me their experience

Sponsored Links
Reading this forum I get the impression that few peope bother!

Tony

Dangererousmouth should you not have included IF it is the board that requires link cutting......
.Also seeing as you work for company can you explain why disc needs changing and what if anything happens if disc is not changed .

Dangererousmouth should you not have included IF it is the board that requires link cutting......
.Also seeing as you work for company can you explain why disc needs changing and what if anything happens if disc is not changed .

most of the pcb's will need the link cut (95%). the disc in the diverter stops the new heat exchanger scaling up by closing a trickle bypass to secondary heat exchanger. the old plastic heat exch had a much higher volume of water and therefore needed a slight preheat; being plastic they didn't scale up but did eventually leak (this on has lasted around 15yrs which is more than most modern plates)

personally i don't bother :D takes too long innit.!

and anyway ,you get nice hot water, no need for one of them new highflo things george keeps telling us about :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back