Vaillant VCW GB 242 Finally going bu tnow goes to lockout !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,been a horrible few cold days,here`s what ive done so far

Vaillant VCW 242 EH

started off with a cold spot in a rad, so i flushed the system,filed into the system some F3 cleaner, and flushed that out 2 days later.
cool.

boiler has worked fine for the last year,even last winter.

always had a pressure problem,turned out my expansion vessel needed pumping up,so thats sported,all going well i thought.

until yesterday,central heating kicked in,cool,then thought it was cold in the house still,boiler was wuring away but no ignition/flames.
so i did the following

right,bear with me,it does get better !
i spend the day cleaning out the wrong parts ha ha.
i took apart and cleaned the servo control valve,was gummy but now isnt.
Then i took off and took apart the water section,cleaned the diaphragm and all is well there.

the reason i did this was because i mistook the DHW microswitch as the C.H Micro switch,hence my cleanin of these bits,i then started to realise my mistake !!

time was gettin on and i was still where i was this mornin,no ignition.

Then i realised i should of been lookin at the diverter valve and the microswitch on that for the C.H,DUH !!!!
so i worked it out,lubed up the shaft that the actuator is on and adjusted the screw so the microswitch now activates better and i now get IGNITION, YAY !!!!!

But,not for long, after,and it can be a variable amount of time, 10 seconds, 1 minute, 30 seconds, 5 minutes etc flames go out and the error lite comes on and the black button pops out and it shuts off,huf huf huf !!!
so now i get ignition,but not for long, any ideas on that ?

the manual says gas related which i wont touch.

but could it be a dirty diverter valve still as i havent took that apart yet ???
i see a nice clean 2nd hand one on the bay for £15

was well chuffed when it fired up on its own,then it went out sob sob

gutted,done so much,got it igniting but it wont continue

Sponsored Links
well,i guess it can be the PCB,gas valve or diverter valve so might get all 3 2nd hand and see where that leads

some people deserve everything they get.

fook with a functional heating system at this time of the year?

Sponsored Links
Faulty Central Heating overheat thermostat.

pull the 2 wires off of it, join them together and heypresto,continues to work as it should.

put a multimeter onto the thermostats terminals and it gave back an open circuit reading

Faulty Central Heating overheat thermostat.

pull the 2 wires off of it, join them together and heypresto,continues to work as it should.

put a multimeter onto the thermostats terminals and it gave back an open circuit reading

I hope you havent left it like that as you have bypassed a safety device

Overheat stat is there for a reason. Now you have a boiler that will not shut down when it overheats. Be prepared to call 999 when boiler blows or cooks someone with superheated steam.

Overheat stat is there for a reason. Now you have a boiler that will not shut down when it overheats. Be prepared to call 999 when boiler blows or cooks someone with superheated steam.

Indeed

thats why a new one was fitted :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back