VAILLANT VCW GB 242 EH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
VAILLANT VCW GB 242 EH
Hi all I have a problem with this boiler it will not light sometimes. When it does not light I still get voltage to the ignition transformer I wonder if you can tell me if the ignition transformer is at fault or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Thank All the best Dean.

Sponsored Links
If you have hot water, then transformer is OK.

Thank you for the answer when the boiler will not light no hot water either
All the best Dean.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with the transformer on my 242 EH boiler a couple of years ago. When either the hot water or CH attempted to fire up the boiler, no spark was generated, the gas failed to ignite and the flame failure reset button tripped after a few seconds.

Volts were reaching the transformer ok. The two igniter leads from the transformer were temporarily removed and connected to a piezo cooker lighter. When the boiler attempted to fire, the lighter was squeezed a couple of times generating a charge and the boiler lit.

A replacement transformer cured the problem properly. The part for mine was VC-W 110-242, part number VA091235 which included the transformer, sparker probes and one(!) lead. The price was just under £40 in Feb '09. I also ordered a second lead which, I think, was part number VA091513 at about £3.

The bloke in the shop was sceptical about the transformer being faulty as he reckoned he'd never had one go before. The replacement fixed my problem.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply acssim I will order one to see I also think it’s the ignition transformer as I get volts when the boiler will not light (CH/hot water) as I see it if it was a safety lock out then I think there would be no volts on the ignition transformer.
Thank You
All the best Dean.

Well it was the ignition transformer at fault once replaced all working good now.
I hope this will help someone as when I was looking around I found lots of people with the same problem as me.
All the best Dean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back