Vaillant VCW sine 18

O

Obaatan

First time poster and new to this forum though I have read some threads over the years as I own a vintage Vaillant boiler, some 28 years old.
Central heating works fine but hot water is only lukewarm and now dripping water from beneath.
I would appreciate some advice as to what the problem might be with the lukewarm water or number of an engineer in the west midlands who knows what to do with these old dears as I am keen to keep it going for another few years if possible.

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Dripping from where? Plate hex at a guess. Thermistor. Flow valve. Old boiler but a real tank and bullet proof.

Thanks for reply.
Water dripping from below heat exchanger

On the left hand side? A picture would help. If you haven't had it serviced or any work done it for years I'd be suspecting plate hex. Don't know any west mids but cost could go into £400-500, I would say new boiler time, no point paying a repair. Have you tried BG etc?

Sponsored Links
Leak around pipework to Hex. Had a feeling this was beginning of the end.
Had a couple of local engineers look at it in the past few years but didn't know much about it and only managed minor fixes
to keep it going. I have little confidence that young british gas engineers will fix it as opposed to writing it off having read some of the old threads on here about these boilers.

Thanks very much indeed for replies.

Leak in that area often due to failed Union seal
Would be a pity to bin the boiler for sake of a seal or two

As said earlier, anything more is new boiler time
End of an era, they do not make boilers like this anymore

One customer has a spare Sine 18 to keep his boiler working

I still look after a few of those.

A leak is not serious in most cases and most can be fixed.

There are about 30 joints available to leak from!

Thank you for your responses. I may yet find an old sine 18 to keep this one going.:)
Is there a simple solution to the lukewarm water from the taps but perfectly warm radiators i.e. central heating?

Thank you for your responses. I may yet find an old sine 18 to keep this one going.:)
Is there a simple solution to the lukewarm water from the taps but perfectly warm radiators i.e. central heating?

Easily fixed, but you need someone who knows how this boiler works.
If your repairer can explain how the boiler goes from hot water to heating and back to hot water when a hot tap is run, I am sure he will be able to repair the boiler.

If he cannot, then you have found a possible part changer or boiler emplacement guy. There could indeed be valid reason to replace the boiler as some parts are on short supply or no longer available.

Gas to air no plate on this model...leaking left hand side and poor hot water leads me to believe flow switch leaking. Probably from the top gland which was usual for these. Maybe repairable but you need an expert

I will let you know how it pans out, fingers crossed or if I need to get an expert with these off here who is not too far away.
Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Better for you to put your postcode on here so we can see where you are.

I would also be asking how much clear space to the left of the boiler as well.

Tony

I'll just check on my darning needle, mind you, I'd have to look real hard to find some O rings lol!

Just to let you know boiler is fixed and working again. The old dear
Still has some fight left in her yet.
Thank you all very much for your
Postings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back