Vaillant VR Dialog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to log a bit of data from my 937 and see what it's up to on startup and have downloaded the VR Dialog810/2 software and manuals from the Vaillant website.

What I need now is to understand the connecting cables and 'ebus/USB adapter' that appears to be required.

Has anyone any experience of all this and used the software/cables?

Where can I get suitable cables/adapter (I didn't really want to buy the complete package from Vaillant as I will only use it occasionally and can't really justify the cost)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that it's basically an Ethernet cable and some software

What sort if info do you want to log

I found http://www.ab-log.ru/smart-house/heating-automation/vaillant-rs232
http://www.ab-log.ru/files/Image/heat/eBusConverter.gif

This suggests that ebus is some sort of serial, but at TTL levels, thus requiring a TTL to rs-232 converter (MAX232) and a comparator. I presume the "just like a bought one" cable contains a USB to serial converter which either has TTL I/O, or contains a 232 to TTL converter.

It wouldn't be impossible to cannibalise a suitably smashable dongle, and solder up a MAX232 as pictured on the russian site above, and knock it up in a small, neat, box, with an RJ-11 on the end to plug between boiler & adapter. However, it appears that there is a recommendation that it should be isolated from the boiler properly, so that would be more complicated. The question would be if it would be any cheaper in time & effort than simply buying the vaillant set, which carries a much lesser risk of destroying the PCB.

Sponsored Links
This suggests that ebus is some sort of serial, but at TTL levels, thus requiring a TTL to rs-232 converter (MAX232) and a comparator. I presume the "just like a bought one" cable contains a USB to serial converter which either has TTL I/O, or contains a 232 to TTL converter.

It wouldn't be impossible to cannibalise a suitably smashable dongle, and solder up a MAX232 as pictured on the russian site above, and knock it up in a small, neat, box, with an RJ-11 on the end to plug between boiler & adapter. However, it appears that there is a recommendation that it should be isolated from the boiler properly, so that would be more complicated. The question would be if it would be any cheaper in time & effort than simply buying the vaillant set, which carries a much lesser risk of destroying the PCB.

E-bus is a BMS protocol which doesn't seem to have been adopted by anyone other than Vaillant. The information from the devices has identifier codes which allow it to be called for and utilised by any other device on the network, if required. There is a table on the internet, possibly on that Russian site, giving some of the codes, but I think you'd have more chance of cracking the Enigma code than compiling a complete list of the Vaillant e-bus codes. Best of luck with it.

Thanks guys.

It looks like I'll need to find a good price for the Vaillant kit.

To answer what data I want, I want to see what the boiler/burner is up to from cold start. As the boiler is remotely located in the garage below my town house, and I like my bed :) , I wanted to be able to log suitable info on to a laptop for later analysis rather than looking at the control panel codes down in my garage. Hopefully I can then optimise the boiler performance better/easier.

Just want to do it relatively cheaply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back