Vaillant Vuw 242E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone! first post be easy on me!

I have a Vaillant Vuw 242E. The hot water only works when the
heating is switched on. sometimes the fault is intermitent.

I have rung up a boiler engineer (the same person whom fixed this
problem 2 years ago) He tells me it's a Valve that has gone.

The price he gave me was 120pounds for a reconditioned part OR
190pounds for a new part both with ONLY 1 years guarantee.

I am quite a competent guy and am prepared to fix my boiler myself.
Can someone tell me what is actually wrong with the boiler and what
needs changing.

reading up on threads some people suggest diverter valve or diaphram
and a quick search for part prices tells me my boiler engineer is
ripping me off!

please help!

I have opened the facia of the boiler and I can see a micro switch if i depress this when the HW tap is open the boiler will fire up.

Sponsored Links
The £190 is about the right retail price for a new complete diverter valve. Not ripping you off - takes a while to fit. It might just need a diaphragm which is a few quid, but the internals of this DV do go sticky which means either a strip-down with the service kit retail £40 odd and half an hour , or a new valve.
I had a tad of bother with the first one I did, and I'm used to stripping things like that. I would expect you'd get a leak just changing your first whole valve on that boiler.
If your DV has a plastic bottom, replace it. I can sell you a new DV about half price.

email address removed, these can be seen in your profile

Thanks for your speedy reply!

How hard is it to replace the DV? I don't have any manuals with my boiler as it was here when we moved in.

Half price sounds very attractive especially if I can fit it in myself! even better if I can get someone competant to show me or do it for me.

I am in West London.

I have made an email address visible to avoid offending the moderator's unfathomable sensitivities. So instead of leaving it on display until it has been seen and I can remove it, I have to say all over the place that it's NOT there so people can ask me questions privately about their problems!
It isn't even clear where you can find my email address - you have to look on the threads-list page for my name then click on it.

It will take you maybe a couple of hours to change your DV first time. You may have problems with old O rings leaking. You have to take the pump out, and there's a wee screw which shears easily - I now always use an impact screwdriver for that one.
I live SW of London.

Sponsored Links
Fault is more likely to be the water section diaraghm not lifting the pin high enough to activate the gas valve .... as opposed to the divertor...water section is at the bottom of the boiler in the centre silver with four pipes attached held in position by a grub screw in middle at top. after removing and splitting section change diaphragm clean the pin within of any scale and use some water silicon grease on it before re-assembly. part approx a £10 or brand new water section complete £100

Are you thinking it's a vCw 242 namsag? It's Turbomax, innit????? Koolvin? Door opens to right then you see a black panel with green placcy knobs.. ?????????

Yeah, must be - a single microswitch on the DV. What colour is that by the way, is it a greeny colour, or black??

Chris is right, It is a Turbomax The door does indeed open to the right. There is a black panel with green knobs

There is a single microswitch which is Green.

I wish I had a owners manual so I could attempt this!

Oops yeah didn`t see VUW bit. Chris is right its the divertor , to change pump and various connector pipes have to come off bit fiddley the first time you do one. Price quoted for parts is way out though i am actually fitting one today and genuine brand new vailant valve is £79 plus £6 carriage plus vat. and a service kit with new diapraghm bearing plate with pushrod and nylon insert for stuffing gland is £4 . Avialable fom gas appliance spares preston on an excellent next day delivery 01772 702755 . these prices are after a 20% discount that they give to most people, price quoted will be full price but on delivery invoice will have the discounted price.

Just to clarify the price: if you go to the partscenter websit ,their part number 474982 shows a picture of the DV with the retail price which comes to £154 inc vat. A tradesman has to get and stock the part and deal with it if it's faulty etc so will charge the retail price. £190 to fit that DV therefore isn't unreasonable.

Just called the guys namsag quoted - their price comes to 98.97 with vat and carriage if you convince them you're corgi registered.

I think the prices I quoted in my first post were for just the valve only!

lets say I order the parts, How easy is it to fit on a scale of 1-10 also how long would it take?

I am a fairly competent at DIY.

Double checked price with two other companys hrpc is £91 plus vat and online boiler spares is also £91 so god know where partcentre get there high price even BG only charge just over the ton for it. Personnally don`t add any mark up on parts and as for having to stock them why would i lay out money when there is next day delivery.The guy who has quoted £190 is working on approx 90% mark up on an already exp[ensive part and i`m also wondering where he gets reconditioned divertors. Back to question this is not really a diy job as there is i few delicate pipes that can be broken by the untrained whilst changing this part.

Partscenter IS HRPC! If you go to the site without an account you see the price I quoted which IS the RETAIL price. There is no "correct" price.

I think you'd have to be pretty hamfisted to damage anything. If you can change a fan belt on a car without worrying, it wouldn't phase you. Apart from one little screw everything usually comes apart quite easily. You need some silicone grease for reassembly.
Good opportunity to whip the tap-hot-water heat exchanger into a bucket of descaler for half an hour too!

Koolvin , based in east midlands but afraid can`t take any work on at present as already fully booked for next 5 weeks. only the odd space left for mates.(suppose it`s cause i give value for money). The valve i done yesterday took 30 mins from start to finish and can be done in less . As for doing it yourself just remember if you do mess it up you will struggle to get someone out to fix it afterwards. Chris the proper price is what you pay for the part and as for retail price who ever pays that . People should make there money from the job not from falsely claiming parts are far more expensive than they where

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back