Valley Gutter (leaking into bedroom wall now damp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help, My Valley Gutter is leaking, I believe it has lead strip (maybe zinc). I have a fairly large area of damp, and can feel the wet when it rains heavily.

I have already had about 5 quotes, all of which seem very expensive. One guy suggested using EPDM giving 5 year gurantee, the other sugguested he place another lead sheet on top of the existing one, which didn't seem right to me. A thrid guy said he could patch it up using some kind of either felt or liquid bitumen (not too sure what he called it)

I am really confused, I beleive it would be best to take out the existing lead and replace it entirely, although wanted to know if there was a better method.

I'd appreciate your help :cry:

Regards

Eilz

Sponsored Links
I think you have answered your own question really. The best but most expensive option is to remove it and replace with new lead . The EPDM membrane will probably not give you any advantage over lead in terms of lifespan anyway because the lead will give you at least 25-30 years if done correctly.
Placing lead sheet on top of the faulty one is only going to work for so long before it leaks again because he would have to strip back the slates on the valley to get it far enough under and if he intended doing that (which i suspect he isn't) then he would just fit a new piece anyway and remove the old.In other words that option sounds like a bodge.
Along with the last option of a felt patch and /or liquid bitumen. Limited likelyhood of it lasting that long really and it looks unsightly from the ground to have an obvious repair on your roof like that.
Add to the fact that if part of your lead is leaking now it is all very likely to be the same age and may have reached the end of it's life and so more leaks could develop over the next few years. I would advise replacing it all and doing the job right first time.

How much was the lead quote?.........also it`s probably the original.so if you know the age of the house .........you can tell how long it`s lasted........`course it might have split rather than perished because it wasn`t fitted correctly.......You`ve not had a proper lead replacement quote :?: Make sure you get a proper Lead Roof worker ..........not an itinerant caravan dwelling "roofer"

Thanks for all you help, I have just found out that its actually Zinc, not Lead, but the roofer will obviously replace it with Lead, not sure how old the bulding is I think 1900's. I am getting quotes around the 7 hundred mark to rip out old and replace with new. All the builders/roofers seem to know what there doing although I am a little concerned that hardly any of them were bothered about getting on a ladder to look at the problem and only a small hand full asked to go inside the bedroom to see the dampe coming into the wall. I am assuming these guys see this problem quite often and assume they know what there doing. Is there anything i should be asking about the job, most are giving around the 5-10yr mark for a lead replacement.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
i had same problem aparently they did used to use zinc and several othere here are getting same problem.

most of the cost is in the scaffholding to get up there (after all lead is some what heavy)

all the tiles were taken off eitherside of the gully then lead installed, took about 3 days in total, forgot how much

5-!0 years :eek: :LOL: ...should be 50..if it`s done right .......sounds like they don`t really know :rolleyes: try googling leadworkers or the lead development association.........if it weren`t so far I`d have a look meself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back