valley roof water getting on rafters (picture included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm not sure what work needs doing on our roof.
roof_diagram.jpg

The valley seems OK but needs doing in the future.

We had a roofing contractor in when the render on one of the chimney stacks blew and fell off. It turned out we didn't even have lead flashings just thick felt (I didn't know anything about rooves before).

We had the render fixed - but as you can see on the diagram, they didn't do all the render, just enough to hack out space for lead flashings.

I hoped that everything would be OK - but it seems that water is coming in somewhere areound the new flashings. Maybe the coping stones need repointing or rebedding? maybe the wind is blowing the rain up under the flashings (because the tiles are old clay ones, they don't interlock and cause a tight fit and the wind really goes through the roof).

the felt is not ancient but it looks a bit rough in places (a few bits hanging).

The rafters a too thin for the roof and few have cracked under the weight so the roof has some ups and down in it.

I'm wondering how to get it fixed - or even if I need a reroof. Or should I get the roofer back and tell him the flashings are not working properly.

Also - should I have painted the new render with some sort of waterproofing?

Thanks[/code]

Sponsored Links
I'm just nit-picking, but in your pic the flashing is going under the tiles rather than over, I assume this is just a mistake with the drawing rather than how they have actually been installed ;)

yeah - sorry. took me quite a while to do that and just made a mistake.

the flashing DOES go over the tiles.

should I get the people who did the flashings to come back and see if they did them right (they gave me a 10 year guarantee?

got any suggestions?

thanks

Firstly ask them to come back and check it out.. Nicely, then you'll get more help.. Can you post a photo? it'll help more.

Sponsored Links
Haven't got a photo at the moment - can't get on the roof cos I'm recovering from a back operation. And I'm just at gloucester airport at the moment and leaving the country for a few days.

I think I'll take you advice and get them back though - when I get home.

I've been talking to my carpenter brother and from what he says after looking up in the loft - he reckons that the dampness could just be from lack of ventilation. there may not be water POURING and maybe it's just the coping stones that need redoing and more ventilation.

before we had the work done the previous owner had a skylight made from corrugated transparent plastic which let a lot of air flow through the roof. We had this removed and had a newly flashed sealed skylight put in.

could this have limited the ventilation significantly?

and what's the best way to get more ventilation seeing as we've got the old non-nailed clay tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back