Valliant Combi VCW Sine 18 T3 overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure one of you experts can help me sort this boiler problem. Simply because i have a second replacement boiler that i can take parts off to use to fix the faulty one.
Basically the boiler as the following problem. The hot water always works fine but the central heating is overheating. I have to watch the temp and switch off before it reaches a 100 degrees on the combi temp indicator.
I've had a few suggestions that it could be the overheat cut-out sensor but this really doesn't seem right to me as I thought this sensor triggered a cutout if it detected overheating and would require a manual reset (push button) to start the device up again. Which makes me think my problem is not caused by this sensor (Am i right?)
As mentioned above I have an old boiler which i can take parts off and am stuck as to what part to swap. Should i swap the main PCB board or just the Overheat cutout sensor or is it something else? For obvious reasons I don't want to swap both if i don't have to.
Also could it be the Room Thermo stat?
The boiler is a Valliant Combi VCW Sine 18 T3
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly the main temperature sensor on this boiler is the NTC resistor, located on the flow pipe to the left I think. Very simple to unscrew and replace, once you've drained the boiler, although you can check its function (variable resistance) with a multimeter.

Thanks Chris I see a something screwed into a pipe on the lhs it has a purple push on wire connected to it. Does this sound correct?

Yes the ntc resister has a single purple lead.To test when htg is on remove lead & short it to something metal (trust me it won't cause any problem) if burner then goes out the ntc is faulty

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the NTC info i have now changed the NTC resistor and the following is now what happens.

I turn room thermostat to click (23degrees) & boiler fires up. The temp dial on the boiler hovers around 60degrees for aprox 10Mins, flicking between hi/low flame. The flame then stays on high all the way from 60-98 degrees then the boiler switches back to a low flame & the temp keeps falling all the way back down to 60ish. During this falling temp period the flame doesn't go high again not once. Only when i move the room thermostat to a higher temp. Is this normal operation as this doesn't seem quite right to me. Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back