Valliant TurboMAX 837e Short Cycling Setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Valliant TurboMAX 837e installed on a system of 6 rads (only 3 with TRVs) which once up to temperature is cycling on for about 2 minutes, off for about 1 minute, then back on for 2 etc. continuously.

There are no external controls connected, only the clock unit in the boiler itself.

The manual: (http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/.../turboMAX_plus_thermoCOMPACT_installation.pdf)

states that the boiler has a 5 minute "Anti-cycling ‘economiser’ control" to prevent reignition within 5 minutes of operation on CH operation. (sect 5.22)

So being a nosey b*gger I thought I'd have a look at what the Status info on the boiler would reveal....

The manual gives these codes for CH operation:
S.00 No heat demand (heating operation)
S.01 Fan running (heating operation)
S.02 Pump running – pre ignition (heating operation)
S.03 Ignition sequence (heating operation)
S.04 Burner ignited (heating operation)
S.05 Fan and pump over run (837/637 only)
S.07 Pump over run (heating operation)
S.08 Anti cycling mode (heating operation)

When I watch this with the boiler doing it's on/off routine this is what happens...

S01,S03 *boiler fires* S04 *boiler runs for 2 mins then flame light goes out* *hear the fan go to high speed* S05 *fan off* S02 *1 minute* S01 (back to the start now!)

So it seems to not go to the Anti Cycle stage.

Then I looked at the manual again and saw that Diagnostic Mode d.67 should show "Remaining anti cycling period" in minutes. So got this displaying and watched what it did.

In the sequence above when the flame extinguishes and the fan goes fast d.67 changes from zero to 1. After the 1 minute this changes to 0 and the ignition sequence begins.

So it seems as though the anti cycle duration has been changed from 5 minutes to 1 somehow.

I can't find any reference as to how to do it in the manual, so does anyone know how to increase this setting on this boiler?

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back