Valor Ultimate Turbochim intermittent starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Valor Ultimate Turbochim. It is an open flame coal-effect gas fire. It has a built-in extraction fan system. Therefore you must switch on the extraction fan before it will let you switch on the gas. There are two switches to operate the fan, ie, an ON switch and an OFF switch.

The problem is, that pressing the ON switch doesn't always start the fan, even if you hold it down and wait a while (eg, 10 seconds or more). Sometimes you have to press it dozens of times before it will work - other times it just will not switch on, no matter how many times you try it. And yet other times it will switch on first time! There is no pattern to whether it switches on first time or not. Sometimes it will work fine for weeks. (Incidentally, the OFF switch always works first time). The fire has a red indicator light which comes on when the mains power supply is switched on, and goes off when the fan starts working, and comes on again when the OFF switch is pressed and the fan is stopped. This red indicator light is therefore working normally, according to the instruction booklet.

This problem has been ongoing for the last 4 winters or so, and the fire itself is about 5 years old (according to the people I bought the house from, as it was here when I moved in).

The instruction booklet details the following test for the ON switch: I connected an Ohm meter to the terminals at the back of the ON switch, and there was no reading, ie, very high resistance. When I press the switch, the meter shows very low resistance. I also tested the OFF switch in the same way, and the results were the same. So the ON and OFF switches do not appear to be faulty.

Can anybody offer any advice as to what may be causing this problem please?

Sponsored Links
If on switch is all ok(turn poweer off and bridge it out completely to make sure) it would suggest the control box is faulty , by pressing on switch several times then it works would tend to rule out the air pressure switch sticking in the made position which would stop it working.

Thanks for the reply. Is the control box serviceable/repairable, or is the only option to replace it?

Sponsored Links
Sealed unit usually, with the on switch bridged out check at fan terminals for power this will confirm if it`s fan or not and if poss try gently sucking/blowing on air pressure tube just to make sure that isn`t stuck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back