Valve buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hello,
Over the last month the valve in the pic has started to make a buzzing noise and getting hot on the side where the black cable goes in. The noise is now quite loud and can be heard at night.
This valve is for hot water or hot water and radiator. I'm not sure why as i can only have the hot water radiator as the gap for hot water on own is blocked by a metal plate. I was told this is a basic system (???) so we use the immersion in the summer for HW.

Anyone know what this buzzing is? The noise/buzzing is all the time even with the central heating off. A bit concerned how hot the meatal plate is too.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
That looks like a motorised valve.

They do sometimes buzz a little and occasionally quite a lot. They also get warm but too hot to touch would be unusual if the circulating water is cold.

It can sometmes just be a mechanical resonance and rarely the motor itself. But the motor can usually be changed on its own.

Tony

Sounds to me like the motor isn't switching off after moving to the alternate position.

Joe-90 evidently done not know that the motors open the valve and then remain powered in a stalled condition.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like the motor isn't switching off after moving to the alternate position.

The motor does not swich off (as you put it) after moving to the alternate position (which I assume you mean heating).

Power to the motor will remain, even with the heating turned off, and will only be cut when there is a demand for hot water. It remains open, in a 'stalled' position.

Mr. W.

My guess is that this one is worn and continuing to run (ie Not stalling). It's easy to reach - switch the whole valve out. That'll sort it.

Whilst I dont encourage any guessing, I would always give more creadance to a guess from a boiler engineer than a decorator!

Tony

I'm not a decorator. I'm right though aren't I? Gwon, admit it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Reading other threads they say you buy ol;d houses and decorate them and sell to unsuspecting buyers?

A stalled motor produces more heat than a rotating motor. ( back emf ).

Whilst it could have worn cogs on the end of the quadrant gear it would then be clicking and would be less hot.

Tony

It would only click until the cogs had worn. Then it would produce the symptoms as stated. The whole thing needs replacing doesn't it?

BTW, I don't do anything underhand. Just because you don't like me doesn't make me a crook. The gas Industry employs most of those. ;)

It would only click until the cogs had worn. Then it would produce the symptoms as stated. The whole thing needs replacing doesn't it?

BTW, I don't do anything underhand. Just because you don't like me doesn't make me a crook. The gas Industry employs most of those. ;)

Why don`t you to get married so that we can have a bit of piece ;) ;)

Joe-90 hasn't reached puberty yet. He's only 9! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He'd like a bit of 'piece' (sic) though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back