Valve Stem leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve got a 1996 Rover sterling (2.5 v6 engine). Valve stem seals are leaking (it is blowing white smoke on first start up or after several hours stationary)which is going to cost more than the car is worth to repair. Has anyone got experience with using `Wynns engine stop leak` or any other brand to solve this problem? Alternate might be to use a thicker oil perhaps? Any ideas welcome.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cant the valve stem seals be changed with the head in situ?

Neo, ch427, thanks for the responses.

I had a mechanic take a look - he observed the exhaust smoke and did a test drive and concluded it`s more than likely to be valve stem leaks. Whether replaceable in situ or not was gonna be a big job - 10-16 hours labourt plus parts, which I don`t want to pay unless it`s dangerous. He indicated it was safe to drive but keep to keep regular check on the oil level.

Regarding smoke colour it started as a lot of white smoke (clouds of it) about 3weeks ago, but gradually changed to blue smoke and a lot less of it. The oil level dropped to below minimum over the 3 weeks - which I then topped back up.

The long and short of it is to just keep driving it and monitor oil level!! Any thought?s

Sponsored Links
White smoke is usually steam (water leak) or diesel in the fuel. Blue smoke is usually oil. Black smoke is usually petrol (over-rich mixture, or, choke/cold start injector fault).

If the car's not worth much, you may as well keep driving it, keep topping up with inexpensive oil, see if it passes MoT.

Get a workshop manual and see if you could tackle it yourself. I don't know the engine, but some have a replaceable rubber seal round the valve stem. 16 hours labour sounds like a lot to swap the head. Sometimes you can get exchange heads.

Wynns will be a waste of money, IMO.

Valve stem oil leak:
When you drive uphill it will not smoke much.
If you drive down hill at medium speed, and take your foot off the throttle, smoke will increase on the over-run as the engine sucks. Get someone to watch for you.

It's the V6 so head should read heads. It's not a two minute job, that's for sure.

Thats why i'm wondering if the heads need to actually come off.
Get one of the airline adapters that hold the valves up while you change the stem seals, cant see it being more than about 3 hrs

Back