valve stuck?

B

breezer

we have a potty combi 100e and loads of hot water but no heating.

The boiler will light then cut out, and the pump is very very hot.

From what i read on these forums my thinking is this.

The over heat stat is cutting out the boiler becuse the hot water is too hot, it cant be the pump because that works the hot water too. (loads of hot water from tap)

so it must be the diverter valve, i figure it is stuck shut and not opening to let water to the rads (thats why boiler cuts out) trouble is acording to the manual we do not have a diverter valve with a lever to move on it (the one that says manual auto and ?) we do have a thing called a wax capsule head that acording to the instructions ".......and provides the motive power to open the valve"

my question is.

is there any way i can manualy open the valve?

Sponsored Links
Are you still having problem breezer ?

If so,I thought I kick this post back up on top of this lists as you got further down at the rock bottom,I think you got accidentally unnoticed ;)

yes, we are bg not coming till tomorrow, (and then it will be i haven't got one of those)

having to make do with fan heaters

and thanks masona

Breezer,

you say the boiler is a potty 100e this narrows it down to about half a dozen boilers, but from your problems I will guess that it is the Puma 100e.

You say that as you have got lots of hot water the pump must be running, not so, this boiler does not need the pump to run for the hot water to work.

If your pump is that hot it has jammed, I am sure you must know how to un jam it.

No you cannot manually open the diverter valve

get your screwdriver out and you should have heating tonight :D

dave18.

Sponsored Links
i hit it with my screwdriver and it still doesn't work :(

yes the pump does run when hot water is called for, but when heating comes in it gets so hot i think you could cook an egg on it, so i turned the heating off. (little grey switch that says heating off)

so if i cant maually open the valve what can i do? (or did i miss something?)

and thanks for replying and yes it is a potty puma 100e

Breezer,

I was trying to avoid writing a book on how the puma works, as I said the puma does not need the pump to run to get hot water. you will still get hot water with a jammed pump, but the heating will not work.

because the boiler does not normally run that long on hot water the windings in the pump will not have had time to heat up to cook your breakfast. but with your heating turned on it takes a while to realise that the system is not working by which time the heat from the boiler plus the heat from the pump with jammed rota will make it hot enough for the bacon & eggs.

take the bung out of the pump twist the rota and with any luck hot radiators.

dave18

thanks for that, took black cover off centre of pump, (read pump instructions) undid "bolt" pulled it out (not literally) yes i felt impellar turming, put it all back and it wont light on c/h.

turned on hot water tap, boiler lit, turned off tap, boiler still lit then went out, waited, boiler came on tried to light then cut out again and reste light came on

Breezer,

Your boiler is a later model than the ones I have worked on so i do not think i can help you any more, as the boiler is not in frount of me :cry:

As the pump is now free all I can say is reset the boiler so the light goes out, and then try it agian with the C.H. set at a lower temp on the boiler stat.

The sequence of events you discribe when it lit up is correct, up to the point it shut down and the reset light came on. as there are so many things it could be, I would not like to comment further.

please let us know what BG say tomorrow.

dave18

thank you for trying it was apreciated, and thanks, and certainly

bg main said its the pump, and (of course) he hasn't got one, will let you know out come tomorrow

awww breezer you sound dejected that the repair is next day...if your BG man had vanstock to repair everything you'd be moaning his articulated lorry left tyre impressions in your drive! ;)

i only say it because of what else he said (but i didnt)
"i used my last one over the week end"

yeah right. now if he had said, "eer guv, aint got none, git wun to morra 4 ya" i wouldn't have minded, John (no wot i meen)

It's a standard Myson type pump ! It has 1" connectors but you can just take the motor part off (undoing hex socket screws) and swap it over.

It's unusual for pumps to run slow but it does happen. If so, you'll probably hear the boiler kettling as it overheats?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back