Valve to reduce boiler temp needed please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our combi boiler produces hot water that's almost scalding. Had someone from the manufacturers out and he's said it's fine but if we want it cooler to look at having a mixer valve fitted near the boiler to add some cold to the hot water feed. He said they're readily available and are similar to those used in hospitals and old folks homes.

I've found various motorised valves in screwfix catalog but just want something that can be mechanically preset near the boiler and left. Can anyone recommend one or possibly link to one I could buy to do the job? I only prefer screwfix because it's within walking distance of work and I can nip out!

Thankyou all.

Sponsored Links
If its a combi just turn the hw knob down, what make and model is it ?

Not sure on the make, it's in the loft so I'll have a look when I get a min.

The only knob on the boiler is for the radiator temp. We've had the manufacturer out to it and also an independant plumber and both said it can't be turned down and blamed the kitchen mixer tap because of the flow rate. It's the same in the bathroom taps too and our 5 year old turns taps on!

Told the manufacturer it's dangerous, they tested temp and said it was acceptable. It's so hot you can't touch the water!

Its not ok if you cant touch the water (max should be 60 degrees) You can get a blender valve but i would get another heating eng to check the boiler

Sponsored Links
Will get another, just seems strange the original installer said it was fine, the manufacturer sent someone who said it was fine and an independant installer said it was fine. All said it cant be adjusted either.

If its a combi just turn the hw knob down, what make and model is it ?

But what if it ain't got one?

Then what?

Lots of combis have no hw temp adjustment.

Seems really daft not to have an adjustment but the manufacturer insisted it can't be adjusted. I'd be happy with fitting a mixer valve to the hot water output from the boiler, I just don't know which valve to order? Most seem to be electronic but I just want a mechanical set and forget type.

SOAQ4.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...ending valve&gclid=CPymwOjZk5cCFUse3godzQynDA

p1061746_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12024...d-_-Plumbing-_-Thermostatic Mixing Valve 15mm

Thanks, didn't see that one in screwfix catalogue. Is 43ºC about standard for hot water as the second cheaper one is pre-set? Tested my parents water and it's 55 but very hot to touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back