Vanity Unit blues!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just purchased a small 2 door vanity unit and basin for the bathroom. Having plumbed the thing in i am now wondering what to do with the basin??

Let me explain, the basin sits on top of the unit and the unit is secured to the wall...

But the sink isn't secured to the unit top, so it slides about...

Any ideas how to secure the sink as there is no way to secure via screws from underneath????

View media item 9937

Sponsored Links
Wondeful things aren't they. Currently struggling to seal the waste on one myself.... Only suggestion I can think of would be 'glue' it on with silicone sealant.

the basin useally has two holes that you secure it to the wall with these.

i.jpg

Wondeful things aren't they. Currently struggling to seal the waste on one myself.... Only suggestion I can think of would be 'glue' it on with silicone sealant.

Don't mention a leaking waste!! a 20 min connect waste job took 3 visits to the local sheds and 4 hours later leak free... woohoo!!! :rolleyes:

the basin useally has two holes that you secure it to the wall with these.

There are 2 large holes on the rear of the basin but much to big for a screw to fit into... What would you suggest i use??

Sponsored Links
the fischer basin fixing kit that i have shown.

the most common reason for a waste leaking is you didn't use silicone before fitting the washer and nut.

As suggested by Seco, the fischer fixings have a large white sort of washer that slots into the hole in the basin. You first need to drill a 14mm hole for the plastic wall plugs then with a spanner tighten the bolt in. pop the basin through the holes, in goes the white washer then some steel washers then the M12 bolt to hold it all in tight.

Also luckily of all the traps and wastes I've done I have not had one leak yet. And that is without any use of any jointing compound or silicone. You don't need it at all. The trap itself does a good job of sealing if you get it right first time. The rubber gives it a good seal, its when people start adding things on top is when it fails! With wastes don't use plumbers mait or silicone, buy a basin mate. Less mess no fuss, easy!

As suggested by Seco, the fischer fixings have a large white sort of washer that slots into the hole in the basin. You first need to drill a 14mm hole for the plastic wall plugs then with a spanner tighten the bolt in. pop the basin through the holes, in goes the white washer then some steel washers then the M12 bolt to hold it all in tight.

Also luckily of all the traps and wastes I've done I have not had one leak yet. And that is without any use of any jointing compound or silicone. You don't need it at all. The trap itself does a good job of sealing if you get it right first time. The rubber gives it a good seal, its when people start adding things on top is when it fails! With wastes don't use plumbers mait or silicone, buy a basin mate. Less mess no fuss, easy!

Thanks 'neds' its all starting to make sense now, I take it those Fischer fixings are available from local sheds??

As for my leaky waste, it was leaking as the waste pipe comes thru the wall and isn't exactly straight towards the P trap, so i think it was pulling at an angle.....i haven't used anything other than the waste pipes and I seemed to have stopped the leak (touch wood).......

Someone suggested putting plumbers mait under the sink where it meets the unit to secure them together??????

plumbers mait is messy old stuff i still have a tub i brought about 8 yrs ago never use it.

i use clear silicone to bed it on the unit with but once its bolted it won't move anyway.

get the basin kits from bq or screwfix etc.

Vile stuff plumbers mait, Some people seem to empty a tub of it on top of the basin pedestal to bed it in! nightmare cleaning it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back