Variable Hot Water - Vokera Excell 80 SP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue whereby when in the shower, the hot water varies in temperature. Every few minutes the heat drops for a minute or so and then comes back.

Just had the boiler serviced and the engineer said that the issue was sludge in the heating system. This was causing a blocking in the heat exchanger (the central heating one?) and because the water wasn't getting through the whole system (presumably the bit in the boiler before it is routed to water or heating?) temperature was building and the burner was cutting out.

He suggested a power flush and replacement of the heat exchanger. I wanted to know if it is the central heating exchanger that needs replacing? Presumably, as that one is the one blocked - although it is the hot water that is being affected.
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Can you try the shower while you run a basin hot tap with about half flow?

Does the hot tap also go cold like the shower?

Tony

Can you try the shower while you run a basin hot tap with about half flow?

Does the hot tap also go cold like the shower?

Tony

Yes - it affects all the hot water. Just more noticeable in the shower.

Sponsored Links
Turn on a hot tap and SLOWLY increase the flow rate until the boiler fires and leave it at that flow setting.

Measure that flow rate in litres per minute!

Tony

Turn on a hot tap and SLOWLY increase the flow rate until the boiler fires and leave it at that flow setting.

Tony

Thanks Tony - I'll try that. What am I looking for?

I would be more inclined to look at the DHW plate heat exchanger than the main heat exchanger , your engineer however has been in front of the boiler and has run his tests, so I would never second guess another engineer that has actually seen the boiler

I would be more inclined to look at the DHW plate heat exchanger than the main heat exchanger , your engineer however has been in front of the boiler and has run his tests, so I would never second guess another engineer that has actually seen the boiler

Fair enough - my question is that I can't remember which exchanger he was talking about replacing. If it is the central heating that is suffering with sludge, I assumed it must be the central heating exchanger that was blocked and acting up, which was having a knock on for the hot water. But I'm not sure.

Basically, once I've had a powerflush, I was going to get one of the exchangers replaced - but not sure which one.

Tony

Fair enough - my question is that I can't remember which exchanger he was talking about replacing. If it is the central heating that is suffering with sludge, I assumed it must be the central heating exchanger that was blocked and acting up, which was having a knock on for the hot water. But I'm not sure.

Basically, once I've had a powerflush, I was going to get one of the exchangers replaced - but not sure which one.

I wouldnt be getting a powerflush done to be honest, they are expensive and dont really work, you would be better with a chemical flush if needed and a return filter installed, I have never changed a main heat exchanger on one of these for your symptoms but have changed a few plate heat exchangers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back