Varnish still seeping through primer on sideboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need someone who deals with removing finishes off furniture as I am trying to shabby chic an old sideboard. It is nothing special wood wise, just chipboard with a teak veneer from the 70's, danish style. Got it for £25.

I have tried to remove as much varnish as possible with a hot air gun and power sander, as well as trying eco paint stripper after air gun and before sanding. I thought it looked pretty much removed so painted whole piece with Ecos floor paint, which is VOC free, water based wood paint that contains primer, undercoat and glossy top coat as I had some left from painting the stairs.

Prob is, on one door, i've obviously left varnish on as the primer hasn't stuck very well at all and is all mottled and rough. On the top of the sideboard, the paint looks sort of peachy toned, as though some varnish or stain is seeping through still. This is on the left side of the drawer fronts too. Finally there is a waxy cup mark inside the sideboard cupboard and the primer hasn't stuck to that so it shows through and you can feel it.

Can anyone advise whether I should sand or hot air gun the waxy mark and try priming again but would probably need to do whole piece of that cupboard? Also should I primer again and see if that covers the seeping stain effect, or should I just start painting and hope for the best? I do want a good finish and this is my first piece so learning all I can.

Sponsored Links
When you say it "contains primer, undercoat and glossy top coat" do you mean it is a one-coat gloss?

And it is water-based?

How did you clean it after using the paint stripper?

Hi,

You can see the tech help sheet for the product I used here: http://www.ecosorganicpaints.co.uk/specifiers/#18. I probs should have used proper wood primer but was trying to save some cash.

I started by sanding the surface as I hoped I could maybe just paint over the varnish as am painting, but then I just decided to remove the varnish with the air gun. I got the last bits off with this Eco Gel paint stripper and a scrapper (http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/docs/DecoratingMattersSpring2010.pdf). I then used some sugar soap and I may have also used some denatured alcohol at some points. It mostly looked bare at that point.

Haven't done anything to it yet so still looks like in pictures.

Thanks again for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I haven't had any more feedback on my issue, in which I have failed primer/undercoat/gloss floorpaint (waterbased by Ecos) painted over what appeared to be pretty much complete varnish removal on Teak veneered chipboard sideboard. See pic's. i think i'll just go for the detail sander option to take back to smooth surface but was hoping to avoid spending on more primer when I have left overs of above. Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back