varnishing a newly sanded wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished sanding my beautiful wooden floorboards. I want a varnish that is hard wearing and shows the wood off as naturally as possible.
I appreciate all varnishes darken the wood slightly.
Am I looking for a "satin" finish?
Would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks
Mr B

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you DONT use Ronseal quick drying varnish.

Couple of guys did a floor in the house where I was working (with hand sanders !!!!) and sealed floor with two coats of the above. I did raise an eyebrow at the time but not my area and client was very satisfied - especially as he had got the very lowest possible quote for the floor to be done.

Three months down the line he rang me to ask if I knew anyone that did floor sanding.....

Sponsored Links
Pheww!
That was a lucky escape, they seem to have saturated the market but maybe don't do quite everything thats written on the tin............

Thanks again

Mr B

Biggest drawback of water based varnishes is that they dont ring out the natural olour of the wood

Sounds like that bloke got what he paid for....good!!!!!

As zampa says it doesnt bring out the true colour of the wood and with water based varnishes you dont get that depth of colour which is obtained by applying several thinner coats of a good polyurethene varnish. "Translac" used to very good. Water based varnishes dry quick with little smell and are handy for speed and where the customer might have asthma or similar chest complaints. Dulux Aquatec is not too bad and is very hard wearing.

Bourne seal do a good water based one too

Water based raise the grain and give a bit more grip. Try Dulux Trade Diamond glaze. It aint cheap but it is very durable, we sell it for to local pubs for bartops and floors. If you must have solvent based try Sadolin Pv 67 two pack very tough

Hi. I've just sanded my floor and posted a question on what colour to stain it but no reply yet! :(

Anyway depending on whether you want a maintenance free finish or one you can touch up in the future but that will also need ongoing top up's. You could either choose waterbased poly varnish or something like hardwax oil. Check out http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/ and flooringsales.co.uk. They are what I've purchased from and are good. The first has good water based stains from Manns. The second has the varnish I just bought, which is Bona Mega Extra Matt.

I did my upstairs floor 3 years ago with Bona Mega Matt and it is just as good as new except for where a few gap fillings fell through or got hoovered up on the worst wear areas.

I'm in a rush trying to decode what stain to buy before 4pm for next day at the mo but any questions on what I used, just ask!

Good luck!

Didn't see date this was posted. It was at the top of a thread. 6 years old. Guess you did your floor. Sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back