Vauxhall Astra 2004 Semi-Auto Won't Start

ayo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,My Vauxhall astra 2004 make, Car will not start or turn over.
Observations:
1) The gear shows flashing "N" or "A4" or "--"
2) The display near the clock shows "Range 0"
3) There is no communication to the diagnostic machine.
4) The brakes are stiff.
Atimes all this problems would dissappear and the car will start and work all day long provided the ignition is not turned off.
Lest I forget, when it starts it is a bit gerky when it changes gear.
any idea what I need to do? someone suggested ecu.

Sponsored Links
Do all the simple cheap things first
Might be best to change all the relays on the ignition switch circuit. Not expensive and maybe the problem.
Check all earth points for bad intermittent connection.
Check the ignition switch for a voltage drop (bad connection)
I don't think its the ECU as it would not repair itself and work fine, but I could be wrong.

To prevent you driving over cliffs etc I'd check the interlock switches - one on the brake pedal and another on the transmission selection lever.
I don't know anything about auto's bar changing the transmission oil and filter screen.
John :)

Did u fix the problem im I hav the same problem with my astra 54 plate ?

Sponsored Links
Hi sstokes, did you fix the problem itch your 54 plate as I am having the same problem and the mechanic cannot find the problem

Try replacing the ignition coil rail pack, this often causes starting problems and seems to fool the ECU into thinking there are gearbox problems. (The semi-automatic/tiptronic/easytronic is just a manual gearbox with an electronic gear selector bolted on top and that may be what confuses the ECU).

This may sound rediculous, but... check the brake lights. A workmate had a problem with an automatic Corsa a while ago and a faulty brake bulb prevented it from starting.

Back