Vauxhall Astra - P Reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was just hoping for a bit of advice.

I'm looking for a first car and don't have a great amount of money to spend on it.

I've been offered a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 ELS, Power Steering, Automatic, 23,000 miles, P reg (13 years) by a family friend. It has a full service history, MOT'd for another 8 month's.

They're asking for £1,000 and say they've had a few offers but would prefer to sell it to someone they knew.

Is the car worth it and would it be suitable for a first car?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
It depends on you really? Do you have a full UK driving license or looking to take your test? As it is automatic, if you take your test in it you may only be able to drive automatic cars (this used to be the case, don't know if it still is). Are you comfortable in it? It is well under average miles! Do you think it is worth the money, what condition is it in? - remember we havent seen it!! Do you know a mechanic who you can get to take a look at it with you and give you first hand advice?

The car is back where my parents live in Sheffield, I however now live in Sunderland so I'm relying on their first hand advice and view of it. I'm getting them to email me up some photos today/tomorrow which will hopefully be of use to me. Unfortunatly I won't be able to get down to test drive it before I say yes, I can however get one of them to give it a quick drive to make sure everything seems alright.

I'm currently looking to take my test.

I've learnt in a manual and plan to take my test in one also.

The car is in mint condition, it was owned by a couple who were very meticulous about keeping it spot on and in the best care.

I am able to get a mechanic I know to have a look around it to make sure there are no problems with it before purchase.

Unfortunatly I don't really know if the car is worth it or not as I'm very new to the car value game. The owner wants rid of it as it was his parents car who have recently passed away and is just charging a £1,000 flat fee. The problem being, I don't know if it is actually worth £1,000 or not.

As a rough guide you can enter the details into here:Clicky, you may have to go a year younger tho as it only goes back to 97. This will give you a rough idea of what they are worth, though if it mint and only has 23K on it then I'd expect it to be worth a little bit more.

Sponsored Links
Check insurance costs before you buy, it may cost over a grand to insure it too as a first car depending on your age.

Back