Vauxhall combo 1.3cdti - what's the EGR valve for, and where is it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the title says it all.
My van has a definite diesel knock which tends get quieter as it warms up. That or I get more deaf! The knock is typical of that which all diesel engines used to have before about 1990.
Does the EGR valve affect the diesel knock? If so, in what way?
Where is the EGR valve on the 2010 Vauxhall Combo C 1.3cdti (130,000 miles)?

MM

Sponsored Links
I think diesel knock can be amplified courtesy of a clogged EGR - but that's not alone.....I'd expect a bit of smoke, erratic idle, maybe poor starting (taking a while to crank) and also maybe the engine management lamp lit on the dash.
No idea where it is - sorry - but its sure to be a swine connecting the exhaust with the inlet manifold, with an electrical connection onto a large solenoid, more than likely.
John :)

I think diesel knock can be amplified courtesy of a clogged EGR - but that's not alone.....I'd expect a bit of smoke, erratic idle, maybe poor starting (taking a while to crank) and also maybe the engine management lamp lit on the dash.
No idea where it is - sorry - but its sure to be a swine connecting the exhaust with the inlet manifold, with an electrical connection onto a large solenoid, more than likely.
John :)
Thank you John. The knock has been there since I bought the van, at 80,000 miles, with no ill efects so far. This one has much better fuel economy than my last van (of the same type), though the old one did smoke - I suspect one injector did not shut off properly, but that's another story.
So unless there's smoking or a notification on the dash, or one of the other symptoms you listed (and none are present), and the emissions are normal (MoT said they were two days ago) then the EGR can be assumed to be working adequately.

Sponsored Links
Back