vauxhall combo 1.7 d 2003

• Thread starter mickyyoungplumb
  • Start date
M

mickyyoungplumb

My van failed an mot today on a few bulbs which i can obviously sort out and 2 front wishbone bushes.
I got a quote for £230 to fix it all. £40 per bush labour, with the bushes costing £60 each, the rest on the bulbs.
First thing i did was go euro car parts and i can buy the bushes for £21!

I mean i dont mind a mark up but thats taking the **** especially as he is a friend of a friend. So im thinking how hard is it to change is itto change wishbone bushes and what tools are required???

im hands on as im a plumbing and heating engineer. Is this task beyond me??
or should i just buy the bushes and get them fitted elsewhere as i obviously cannot trust them.

Sponsored Links
Wishbone bushes aren't the easiest things to sort, due to the fact that the wishbone has to be removed from the car.....quite significant suspension work, really.
Once the wishbone is on the bench then its not to difficult to knock out the old bushes and draw in the new ones - again thats quite a skilled job unless you've done it before.
Due to the fact that access is poor and the vehicle ideally needs to be up on a lift to make things simpler, I don't think the quote is too bad.
John :)

I think the labour quote is good but the fact he is telingvme the bushes are £50 plus vat when any joe public can buy then for £21 including vat at eurocarparts tajes the **** and makes me not wan to give him work. So he is making £40 profit on each bush alone.

Price hiking on parts is completely the norm, and I justify that because:
1) I have to go and collect them (including replacements if they aren't correct)
2) I have to spend a great deal in order to qualify for my (considerable) trade discount.
He may allow you to supply the parts yourself, or you are completely free to go elsewhere if you aren't happy.
Mates rates? They are for genuine mates, who normally pay full whack anyway or pay you back another way......its amazing how many 'mates' I have when there's cash involved :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
perhaps he is quoting to change the whole wishbone, most people will do this as if one bush is shot the rest will soon follow.
Not everyone will attempt to change the single bushes

Like you I used to be in heating & plumbing and the cost of spare parts was always a bone of contention wit customers.

How many jobs have you gone to where the customer has commented they could have got the bits from the Internet, or similar, at a fraction of the price you were charging.

You probably do what I used to do. Had certain merchants, or spare parts suppliers, where you purchased spares even if they might be available cheaper elsewhere.

Customers have all the time in the world to source parts as cheaply as possible. If I took as long sourcing parts as they often did then if that time were added to the cost of spares from me, my prices would have been much higher.

Also think how much more expensive identical parts are if sourced from Parts Centre rather than a local merchant!

Regarding mates rates. As John said everybody is a friend and wants mates rates. Friend of a friend probably means you hardy know him. For me mates rates, free apart from parts if expensive, to immediate family otherwise good job done but at standard charge. Not many people these days can afford to be a 'low cost for all' charity!

Back