Vauxhall combo 53 plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I have two new issues with my above van.
1. The light on the mileage and time display has gone, is this just a bulb and how is it accessed?
2. My main key fob wouldn't start the van, spare does so I assumed it's the chip. Was going to get it re programmed but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...... So I'm assuming it doesn't need reprogramming. What's the likely cause? Damaged chip from dropping key or not sittkng right in the casing?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Yes it's a bulb with special frosted glass. £1 from Vauxhall (yes, they are cheaper than eBay).

2. The chip is in the horseshoe so it you take the remote part out you will see it. They don't usually come loose though. Have you tried spinning the key over when it doesn't work? Maybe the transciever's a bit weak?

Thanks for the reply. I got anoid today and hit my dashboard! Hey presto. The light came on! I tried turning the key over and it made no difference.

Would the 2 metal clips inside the plastic key fob have anything to do with the key not working. Bit bent up but the remote fob works to lock an unlock. What an I do from here? Can I buy a chip and get it programmed? Cost?

The chip is self contained i dont know what metal clips you're on about but it won't be to do with them.

New keys and chips are around. About £100 dealer prices.

Sponsored Links
Go to an independent locksmith that deals with vehicle keys. They may well be able to read code and program a replacement chip.

Yeah I've got a place that program's the chips for £25 as long as I have the service code or something in the main manual. I had a look and there is a number wrote next to engine, maybe that's what they need.seperate to Vin number

There would have been a "Car Pass" supplied with the car. This is a credit card sized laminated slip with radio code, key code and security code on there. The latter is the most important.

They are around £30 from Vauxhall and they'll need proof you're the registered keeper.

As you have a spare key, have a look on e-bay for a company which repairs faulty fobs. IIRC they are in Uxbridge. I sent my Astra G keys to them as the lock/unlock buttons had stopped working. They came back working perfectly. (They were sent one at a time!!!)

Fob remotes are different, they just do the central locking which is part of the body control module. The chip part is linked to the immobiliser.

A lot of buttons lose their functionality owing to getting damp and/or lots of wear. These are SMD switches and you can buy the switches separately on eBay usually if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Sponsored Links
Back