Vauxhall Combo Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, amongst other issues with it I have a 1.3 CDTI Combo whose turbo wastegate actuator valve is stuck closed. I don't particularly want to replace the turbo, Vauxhall quoted £600 and even a used turbo is gonna run me £100+ for a decent one.

There is a turbo wastegate actuator on eBay for £35 which is much more reasonable as the turbo still works perfectly fine, has anyone had any experience of this, and is it even possible to change the turbo/actuator without dropping the manifold off the engine block? I'm not sure I've got the muscles for that....

Also got a gear selector to do ASAP :mad:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I can't help with this one.....isn't Mfarrow the combo guru?
However if access is tight I release one of the engine mountings and stick a jack under the sump......you'll be surprised how much you can move the engine - up and down as well as sideways.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Damn.

Well I got the pin from Vauxhall and the genuine gear linkage arrived from Vauxhall today so gonna give that a go this weekend

All keep your fingers crossed for me, it popped out of gear as I was driving the other day so needs doing yesterday

Good luck with it mate....if its jumping out lets hope its adjustment required rather than new synchromesh.
Lets know how it goes.

Good luck with it mate....if its jumping out lets hope its adjustment required rather than new synchromesh.
Lets know how it goes.
In fairness, I don't think it technically 'jumped out' I think what actually happened was that because you have to push so hard to get into 1st and 2nd I hadn't pushed it in hard enough so it hadn't fully engaged the gear.

Job is tomorrow, but went to have another look just now, and despite being repaired by vauxhall last week, the bonnet release has failed again. Yay.

I'm not sure if it's any help but I had to reset the linkage on my aunties old Tigra convertible. From memory you put the car into reverse and there was a hole you could put a small drill bit into, them in the engine bay you would slacken off the linkage and then move the gearbox side about until the button could be depressed, from there on you would tighten it up (very tight!) and we didn't have any issues after that.

I'm not sure if it's any help but I had to reset the linkage on my aunties old Tigra convertible. From memory you put the car into reverse and there was a hole you could put a small drill bit into, them in the engine bay you would slacken off the linkage and then move the gearbox side about until the button could be depressed, from there on you would tighten it up (very tight!) and we didn't have any issues after that.
Thanks. All went somewhat well at the weekend, gear selector changed. I did it slightly differently, locked the selector in neutral and put the gearbox in reverse manually (that's how the instructions I read said to do it). Once I worked out I needed to take the fuel filter out to do it it was pretty straightforward.

Still a bit stiff going into first and second, reverse and third are smooth as anything. Not sure if it's a slight alignment issue or the gearbox is just caput....

It's probably the clutch dragging slightly at that age, though you could try bleeding the slave cylinder (usually comes out a horrid colour).

Alternatively the oil might be worth renewing. There's an access plate under the gearbox which will come off and dump the oil content, fairly straightforward. I'd recommend a new gasket.

Usually I use Vauxhall's own red gearbox oil but I'd be half-tempted to look around online and see what semi-synthetics are being suggested.

I was wondering if was worth changing gearbox oil. I'm hoping it's not the clutch as it's only done 59,000 - I've only added 5,000 in a year so must have only been used for local work.

I did notice the plate on the bottom of the gearbox as I was doing the gear selector, seems like that would be a massively messy job!

It doesn't crunch, reverse did crunch a little before I changed the gear selector, now it's just general stiffness. Reverse is smooth as anything now, no stiffness at all, same with 3rd. Just 1st and second that are stiff.

Sometimes, it goes in sweet as you like, most of the time there's some stiffness. It almost feels like I'm pushing the gear stick too far to the left and it's not quite lining up, but obviously if I don't push all the way to the left, I'm gonna end up in 4th/2nd.

No crunch shows the clutch is working fine - at least its releasing fully!
I suspect a linkage issue still - maybe putting new parts with old could have something to do with it. Did you grease all the joints or whatever?

Sponsored Links
Back