VCW 242 GB EH Central Heating Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm in need of your expert opinion on the problem I'm facing with my boiler.

The boiler is a Vaillant VCW 242 GB EH model the old one with white metal doors.

The DHW works fine, although when the tap is open only a little bit, the force of the water seems to slow down a little (dunno if thats important).

When the CH is switched on the diverter valve sometimes moves to the right (away from the microswitches) and so the boiler makes noise but does not light up....

I am currently making the CH system work by messing around with the servo valve (moving it back and forth and then pushing it to the right, away from its microswitches). This is a temp way of getting heat but I need it fixed.

I've had the boiler a long time and have changed many parts in the past. In the past 2 years I have changed the main heat exchanger, servo valve and diaphragm and the gas servo valve. I have added a magnaclean to the CH system. The system is very old and the radiators are corroding and I am conscious about sludge. I have cleared the tiny copper pipes connecting the servo valve, diverter valve and pump. I have opened the diverter valve and cleaned and greased it. The CH expansion vessel is fine, pressure is fine and no leaks.

I had a thought about the DHW expansion vessel and if it was affecting the CH system but I'm not sure. I have not been able to pump the DHW expansion vessel to 5 bar as it says in the manual and so I have just left it like that with 0 bar. Is this something that would affect the CH system??

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
With a bit of fine emery cloth, and a drop of silicone grease does a treat..

Sponsored Links
Indeed, it's heartbreaking to think how many of these good solid boilers have been removed for little or no reason!
Especially by British Gas!

I think its the water section and divertor being seperate that throws them got fed up with the amount of divertors i used to send back

I agree mark/ namsag but be prepared Vaillant/homesmurf letters all arriving this week saying this model is obselete from april26th an they won't attend. I have already signed 2 up on my full cover I got a shed load of spares for em

A review of my website indicating VCW repairs may be in order... Post Haste!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back