Vectra engine noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife's Vectra (T reg, 2 litre petrol, about 70.000 miles) has started making an odd noise. The best way I can describe it is like the whine of an electric motor. It's slightly worse when the engine is cold, but even when fully warm it's clearly noticeable.
It is definitely coming from the engine: the rise and fall pitch of the 'whine' matches the normal rise and fall sounds of the engine and matches the revs, plus it is is present when the engine idles and the car is not moving.

I've never worked on a Vectra before and the noise is unlike anything I've encountered on previous vehicles I've owned personally. Any suggestions folks?

Cheers
Stevil

Sponsored Links
Probably a bearing on it's way out. Check things like alternator / drivebelt tensioner / aircon pump / powersteering pump etc.

Best way is to take the drivebelt out and spin the pulley and see if there's any noise. Then give it a wiggle to see if there is any sideways movement.

Sponsored Links
very coommon for timing belt tensioner to start whining , after whining for a while it startts to shread metal , then colapses breaks belt and does engine in,

of course our friend could be right lets hope its the bearing in a pulley , alternator extra, or could be the water pump, if it is water pump or timing belt tensionor , its cheaper to change tensioner water pump and belt same time, also they shouldnt chrage you extra for all three as they will access all three, lets say £200 for the belt (including belt but not tensioner price) maybe another £50 on labour for the pump as it maybe seized in.

i just get carried away sometimes

Back