car engine noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Honda 2.0 VTEC engine and it is making a whining noise after 30 mins drive...it normally happens when I labour the engine a bit, ie fast accel.. It sounds to me it might be the air filter...as it seems as the car whines at low speed or its more noticeable. Whe cold it OK but after 20 mins it will start purring at idle and worse in first gear.

What are these symptoms of?...do i need to clean the engine...is it biuld up of waste in enigine due to petrol impurities?

The car done 25k miles and was serviced last year.

Sponsored Links
does the note (pitch) of the noise go up and down with road speed, or with engine speed? (change gear to check)

Does it get louder when you have the throtttle open, e.g. to accelerate or go up hill?

Can you hear it when the gearbox is in neutral, or when the car is standing still?

Can you hear it if you open the bonnet and look inside? If so, can you tell waht part of the engine it might be coming from?

What is the oil level?

It is now September... if the car was last serviced last year, how many miles and months ago was that? Have you looked in the drivers handbook for service intervals?

Just tested the car

1. When cold for 30 mins started car and no sound when stationary or when moving off.

2. After 2 mins driving still no sound, then i reduce gear and drove hard accel and within seconds the car started giving that sound. It was then doing it while stationary and when i opened throttle while it was stationary the sound increased.

Opened bonnet the sound, it is coming from near the fan belt as when i went down to hear where sound was from it got louder near fan belt area. There is also a tube maybe aircon tube near it. Not sure if its that but the car does develop this sound when driving for 10 mins in slow traffic. Very noticebale inside...as if its screaming/whining as you press gas. At idle it just whines at slow.tone .like a cat purring.

is the air con on?

are the rubber belts tight (see handbook), and not worn?

If you spray a little WD40 on the belts, what happens?

If you have power steering, is the vessel full of fluid?

What is the oil level?

Are you going to answer my other questions?

Sponsored Links
I'd almost bet on it being the water pump on the way out, the bearing behind the impellor wears away, the impellor blade then slopes and catches anything in it's way, this in turn wears away the impellor blades and stops water from circulating properly. If I'm right it won't be long until you blow the head gasket so get it changed and try and do the timing belt with it as a matter of course.

Sorry for late response, took it to work today.
Was driving 30-40 mph no fast accel and it didn't do anything. On the way home it started again.

Checked oil level its fine and clear not dark.......
Not checked power steering fluid...not sure which one?

The thing is this has happened before about 4-6mths ago but i just left it thinking it my driving hard that does it...well it sure brings it on.
Now only slight accel can bring it on so its getting worse.

Its out of warranty so hope it doesn't cost too much to sort.
Honda isn'topen Sunday so not sure who can give free opinion garage wise?

Well firstly it all depends on where you live, if I'm right and it's the thermostat it's a job anyone can do, the 2 large rubber pipes that connect the engine to the radiator, one of them will have the thermostat in it. i'S USUALLY A CASE OF REMOVING THE PIPE AND THE THERMOSTAT WILL JUST FALL OUT, REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE AND REPLACE THE PIPE. BUT PLEASE ONLY DO IT WHEN THE ENGINE IS STONE COLD OR YOU'LL KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!

Guy at Kwiq fit seems to think its a bearing. he wasn't sure which one?
he says take it to diagnostics and they will use scope . He was sure it wasn't fan belt ...as it was new in his words. The sound was reproduced when i had to take it for a high rev spin since when he took a peek it was normal at first inspection.

I having MOT with Honda, will ask them to take a look, normally they charge 40 quid for looking but they might not sales guy said on Sunday as they are closed for service till mon am.

Not checked power steering fluid...not sure which one?
Simple answer to this is RTFM.
I think the mechanic means the clutch release bearing if the water pump/power steering pump are ok and the belts are tight enough, it is the only bearing it could be.
Still, its a big job to do a clutch on a Honda. But not as big as a new engine. You should have had it checked when it first happened.

Tony

So its not a new clutch but a bearing needed to be replaced.
Had the noise for 6 months, comes and goes but now its after fast accel.
Is it damaging engine? How soon should it be done and what is likely cost?
Checked power steering fluid ..its full max. What other bearing could it be?

IT COULD BE THE RELEASE BEARING ON THE CLUTCH, it might be making a noise when the engine is warmed up or driven hard as you put it. Take it to a mechanic thats knows about Honda's

Tony

Spoke to Honda tuners TDi in warrington....on the phone.
They say that if it was the bearing(clutch release) then the noise would go on you pressing clutch in. Also they would expect noises to come when car was cold. They didn't think it should be changed unless its very noisy.

They didn't think it would be water or power steering bearing at 25K miles.
will be taking it to Honda for MOT and will ask them to check...hopefully they will know rightaway and not charge..otherwise its diagnostics which will cost.

Is there any other tests i can do to rule out the obvious ?

Sponsored Links
Back