Velux Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like many have a velux window that leaks (or has leaked in it's life) a little from one bottom corner. (See pic) My question : are the internal wooden trims that the glass sit on removable ? Can I remove them and replace with new wooden mouldings ? Any advice/comments welcome. Many thanks.

Suffolkman
Velux.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the wood actually rotten? Replaced a lot of glass units in these over the years and yet to see one that the wood is rotten despite being black like that.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is starting to go soft in that corner in the photograph. So just wondered if I could remove the 4 inside pieces ?

I can't answer whether you can remove those or not , never tried!

Sponsored Links
Well if you did remove them you'd have the glass on your head! But no they aren't removable, it's part of the moulding

Ha Ha... Yes obviously I would remove the sash first and turn it over. I did wonder if it was part of the moulding. Thank you for your reply.

Yes its possible to reseal the glazing, I can see through the glass you have moss growing between the flashing/ seal glazing which is helping moisture track in. I recommend getting an old toothbrush and cleaning all the moss from around the glazing, also scrub the black mould internally with some diluted bleach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back