Velux Windows - Repair or Replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a number of Velux windows in my loft conversion (done long before I bought the place). I can't tell you the model numbers as the labels are too faded to read.

A couple of them leak somewhere - I can't tell if its the rubber seal between the window and the outer frame or if it's somewhere on the flashing/external casing. The rain water dribbles into the room between the window frame and the casing, but I can't see where it's coming in as it only appears at the bottom after gravity has done its thing.

The other one has a blown double glazed pane and there's a build up of water between the panes. I've had panes replaced in the others previously (which have since blown as well) and it wasn't that cheap.

So I'm wondering, is there a lifespan for these windows in terms of their rubber seals, can you replace the seals? Is it worth replacing the panes or should I just replace the windows, which I assume would be far more costly, but might be a better idea.

P.S. the roof these are on is slated and the roof is fairly old so it's nearing the end of its life but I do not have the funds to replace it, but I figure I should deal with these window issues before winter kicks in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Quick update - I've managed to get the model numbers for the 3 windows in question.

There are 2 GGL-2 at 130cm x 70cm
1 GGLN-2 at 125cm x 63cm (this one is some sort of fire window so is within a frame which itself opens out onto the roof, so the whole frame is the same as those above but the Velux frame is smaller).

A photo of the GGLN-2 is below. The bottom left corner where the loo roll is stuffed is where the water drips. Apologies that is seems to be showing the wrong way round!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back