Vent at top of oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a green mushroom shaped fixture at the top of my oil tank. It's about 2" high and the dome is about 3" wide. I imagine that this some sort of vent outlet. Excuse my ignorance but what goes on inside of the mushroom?

Sponsored Links
Mushroom is simply an 'umbrella' for want of a better word, to stop rainwater getting into the tank. Other types of vent can be an inverted 'U' shape made with a couple of bends.
Bigger tanks have bigger vents, as we found out when an oil storage depot near my work had 'Visitors' one night. They managed to get into the compound, pushed a hosepipe up through the vent into the tank, ran it out, along the fence into an insecure nearby storage yard, and using a pump, began filling IBC's with fuel.... We dont know how much they got away with, but there was a large spillage left behind....

Thanks Exedon and Hugh. What an interesting story Hugh. I'm amazed to what lengths people go to to break the law. Fortunately my tank is small and hardly worth the bother for it to be drained. But even so thanks for the warning.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately with fuel prices they way they are, almost any fuel is at risk, so I would remain on your guard.
As for the 'Visitors' of course it was nothing to do with the Caravan Dwelling community half a mile up the road. Same as the Artic Tipping trailers in our yard that they asked if were for sale, and were told no. However, one was liberated anyway a few nights later, eventually being found in a ditch in the next County.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back