Vent cockup

Freezing of vent pipe? But that's avoidable - the heat from the flue will help! Otherwise I can't really see any practical objection, but the fact that it doesn't conform to recognised standards and conventions is an issue in itself.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, go for it. Where would we be withhout innovation? :D

Thought you'd like that "engineering solution", Oilman.

Chris - good point about freezing. Could happen if the house was unoccupied, as it always is when we go on our winter getaway to the Bahamas. :cry:

At least this solution would be dead easy to carry out. Maybe I'll just grow a beard instead.

This is becoming an obsession.

Inspired by Oilman's revelation of the second port, why don't we just attach a pipe to it, shove it through the back wall and fit a relief valve on the end?

Chris - if armageddon came, wouldn't even a 3 bar valve open before sufficient pressure built up to blow the boiler to pieces? It's positioned within a foot of the "event", offering the easiest escape route.

Incidentally, has everyone discovered Google calulator? Just type in something like "3 bar in psi" or even "389 in roman numerals" and it comes up with an instant answer. It knows you're doing a calculation and goes into a different mode. Amazing.

Sponsored Links
wouldn't even a 3 bar valve open before sufficient pressure built up to blow the boiler to pieces?
I really don't know, but I can tell you, courtesy of Google, that when water converts to steam, it expands 1,600 times!

So if a boiler has overheated by being empty of water so that it's temp was say 200C, and then a litre of water entered and absorbed that heat the water would flash to steam and attempt to expand to 1,600 litres (1.6 cubic metres).

In practice the boiler and pipework would physically constrain the volume of steam but the pressure then bearing on the boiler would be very high, possibly enough to fracture the weakest part of the enclosure.

This talk of blowing the boiler to pieces is simply alarmist talk with no relevance or foundation for PaulAH's boiler. Just stick a PRV on the port, and take the outlet pipe through the wall.

Future replies to talk of blowing up oil boilers of this type will be blunt, you have been warned. :evil:

All agreed then?

PRVinWall.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back