Vent or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had back boiler downstairs replaced by a combi installed into cylinder cupboard upstairs.Going to remove the old gas fire from the wall and board it and fit an electric one where it was.Is a vent needed,the chimney has a cowl over it from the old flue.

Sponsored Links
Should be vented at the bottom as well.

Each to their own, but if I had the gas supply and route for a flue in place, I'd spend a little more and get a gas fire installed.

Electric fires are more expensive to run and can dry the air. Having a real flame always looks better.

As I said though - each to their own.

Sponsored Links
Should be vented at the bottom as well.

Thanks,might have to fit one behind the new electric fire and then stand it off the wall slightly so it's not seen.

Thought about it,but the guy that did the job said the old flue would need to be taken out and a new one installed for a stand alone gas fire.The fire has had very liitle use,so would really be more for looks.It's one with the flame effect and the mist.

I have an electric fire with gas heating. It's only for show though and looks good with only the light on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back